TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › are forums bad for you?
#1 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29
Re SB rules okay!

Don't know why SB is upsetting you so much.

Believe me, I don't have the time to be upset by the likes of the toddler. Disgusted when reading his crap? Yes. Nauseous when viewing his countenance. Yes. But no, he's more like an irritating insect that keeps buzzing about one's head. Not worth getting upset about - just swat it away.

isn't Trump doing anything these days you can all
anguish about?

Do you mean is he exhibiting behavior that is counter to the well being of America? Yes, but I'll leave the trump bashing to others.

#2 Parent FTinPRC - 2018-03-29
Re SB rules okay!

Don't know why SB is upsetting you so much. It's true he has had much of the forum to himself
lately but that's only because you and Trumpsey and co and even Fifi haven't had a lot
to say lately.

Taffy, I'm contributing on-line quite frequently. I'm still teaching in China and I do read this forum daily, but find little of personal interest.
I do miss your 'life in China' posts. Hope all is well with you and yours.

#3 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29
Re are forums bad for you?

Good pic. Looks like the problem is not hard to resolve.

#4 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

Any Western employer will just laugh at you if you have been teaching in
China.

Wrong. As I said, colleges in America prefer that their ESL teachers have had some experience teaching abroad for reasons which should be obvious.

In your case it's just jealousy that you can't afford them.

Hmm. More trumpish behavior on your part. How would you possibly know what I can or cannot afford? Anyway, as I've stated clearly before, I prefer gemstones and, more specifically, rubies. Truth be told, I would put the value of my collection as way beyond that of yours. But then you've only been on your watch fetish for a couple years. Stay at it, toddler, you'll catch up.

Mainland Chinese women? They are bottom of the barrel. It has been proven beyond doubt.

I think we have a different understanding of the word proof. However, I'll grant that only the bottom of the barrel would have given you the time of the day.

I only worked at universities in China, not training centres, anyway, who cares, they are all
shit.

Make up your mind. Lest you have forgotten, you only recently admitted to having worked at a training center when you first went to China. (Note to Fifi: Compulsive liars often get caught by virtue of not being able to keep track of their lies and by one lie contradicting another.) It didn't go well for you there, did it? I would imagine that is why you went on a worthless crusade against all training centers and why you could never accept the argument that FTs who know they aren't suited for that or any other teaching position are at least partly culpable in terms of the continuance of whatever TC they may be working for. It's easy to determine why you wouldn't accept that argument.

#5 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29
Re SB rules okay!

Yep, maybe he can buy his own drinks. I'd buy you a beer though, you seem to be a straightforward no bullshit sort of person.

The Sportsman ( Soi 13/1 ) in Pattaya has good beer and great meals. Soi 10 beer bar complex is great for cold beer and cute Thai gals.

If you are ever around let me know.

You are right, if I was just some bum in China with with a PhD working at a Shandong university I wouldn't bother telling anyone.

I'm not a fan of mainland Chinese women as you well know, but some of those Shandong gals are tall with with nice figures and waist length straight long black hair.

[edited]

#6 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

Rubbish, rubbish! Any Western employer will just laugh at you if you have been teaching in China. It is in fact detrimental to finding a good job in the West.

As for watches and jewelry, some people genuinely don't like them. In your case it's just jealousy that you can't afford them.

As for "living with mother" or whatever, yeah, I did at one stage as my TWO properties ( not mortgaged ) were both rented out. I saved several
hundred extra dollars per week by doing this.

Mainland Chinese women? They are bottom of the barrel. It has been proven beyond doubt.

I only worked at universities in China, not training centres, anyway, who cares, they are all shit.

#7 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

You've certainly never made anything close to 60,000 USD a year, that's for sure!

Really, you make me laugh!

#8 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

A typical GW response and once again your very bad English.

Obviously the crappy jobs in China are generated by local employers.

Who the hell do you think creates these "career opportunities"? LOL!

As for Chinese women, they would have much more respect if they stopped relying on men for financial assistance and support. Stop asking men for houses, cars, or anything. Smart men consider them to be bottom of the barrel as far as Asian women go.

This idiotic obsession they have with marriage also needs to come to a stop.

#9 Parent John - 2018-03-29

I cannot agree. Those who offer shitty jobs are responsible for the same.

Yes, there are a lot of disgraceful job opportunities in China, but those offers have really not been created by the local employers.
#10 Parent Ex-pat - 2018-03-29

The "fresh point" I can offer at this time is that people should know what they talk about. You know nothing about languages and language teaching, and yet you dare posting your useless opinions on those topics under the guise of being someone who is called to do so. Boring and rubbish.

Don't you concern yourself with 'BS posted here' to the detriment, to the extent, that you are not offering any fresh posts yourself.
#11 Parent Ex-pat - 2018-03-29
Re SB rules okay!

Utter nonsense! How do you know that such a degree is "easy to get"? Do you have a degree yourself? In linguistics?
Normally, you would have to work hard for it unless... - well, unless you get such a "degree" from a degree mill in Khaosan Rd. :D

I am confident you have a linguistics degree, you are not the sort of bloke who is worried about bragging about an easy enough degree to get
#12 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

Definitely. It can easily be deduced from your well-written posts and the way you structure your arguments. i wish to encourage you to continue standing up against all the BS posted here. I'll do the same.

Being negative, I think. Don't you concern yourself with 'BS posted here' to the detriment, to the extent, that you are not offering any fresh posts yourself.

Now, for something more interesting. When you walk across our lounge, suddenly your foot sinks down like you have hit some quick sand. So I took part of the carpet up and cut an oblong out of the chipboard and at last proved to myself that we actually have a concrete floor. So easy to stabilise with batons and then screw back the panels cut out.

China is a shitty place and the men do spit but I was lucky with the women and never came across the one's with bad attitude towards me that SB has so rightly pointed out-BUT you can have a run of good luck and I think I had more than my share of that. I do think that somehow there's education flaws in some men as how to handle women- not their fault but it can leave it open for women to sting you.

#13 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29
Re SB rules okay!

Your confidence is misplaced. He brags to gain attention and validity. He represents a text-book example of histrionics. Wake up, daffy.

Don't know why SB is upsetting you so much. It's true he has had much of the forum to himself lately but that's only because you and Trumpsey and co and even Fifi haven't had a lot to say lately. What's the matter, isn't Trump doing anything these days you can all anguish about? At the moment you offer to get rid of SB and replace what he is saying with nothing. I suggest you all start showing us posts which you believe contribute- not as if these posts will be refused because SB is taking up the whole quota, now is it? SB's degree status has become your offering in totality, and it's not good enough.
#14 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

There is no legitimate need for self-protection and lying now; thus it is very unwise of SB to uphold his wrong claim with respect to his degree in Applied Linguistics.

Quite so.

...he should
refrain from thinking other readers on here are stupid in this respect

Indeed.

#15 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29
Re SB rules okay!

I am confident you have a linguistics degree, you are not the sort of bloke who is worried
about bragging about an easy enough degree to get

Your confidence is misplaced. He brags to gain attention and validity. He represents a text-book example of histrionics. Wake up, daffy.

#16 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

i wish to encourage you to continue standing up against all the BS
posted here.

Thanks. I'll try - even if often it doesn't seem worth the effort.

#17 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29
SB rules okay!

I am happy to talk to you, especially about Chomsky, and also linguistics over a few cold beers.

I've told you where I like to hang out. All I need to know is whether you like Chang or Singha.

The beer is on me.

That Ex-Pat sounds like a bum to me, SB, and I would make the scrounging layabout pay for his own beer. Watch it during this crisis because even the worm will turn if he/she should perceive some blood is flowing- a poster supporting you last week may stick the dagger in now.

I am confident you have a linguistics degree, you are not the sort of bloke who is worried about bragging about an easy enough degree to get. John O'Shei is correct when he says that half the bums with PhD's working in China get very little more that other teachers and that's because they are second class Linguistic type doctors- or as they call them 'Shandong professors. Not trying to devalue the second degree you have. Have a gay weekend.

#18 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

I had We Chat up to mid-September, I had it for three years. However my phone fucked up recently ( it's old ) and I've lost We Chat and all my other data. Not a biggie though as I've still got most of the contacts on e-mail.

I'm short of cash till early next week when I have access to a term deposit of mine then I can get new phone, new We Chat ID and all will be well. Then my old contacts can re-add me.

We Chat is very good, fast, convenient and good for picking up whores in Pattaya with "People Nearby".

#19 Parent The Truth And Nothing But The Truth - 2018-03-29

It is obvious that SB’s claim to have a degree in Applied Linguistics is a lie. As far as I can tell, he made that claim for the first time several years ago on esltb in a board fight with a training center goon whose training center was reported because of its terrible business ethics. The training center goon tried his/her best to defame SB and others in return.

I myself have lied many times in my life in situations where I felt I needed to protect myself against people I owe nothing to but who wanted to attack me for one or the other reason.

Telling lies to people you owe something to - either morally (your trusted friends, for example) or as a responsible person (as a witness in court or as an employee, for example) is quite a different story. I can make the claim that I have mostly followed the path of in these two situations when I was owing truthfulness to my environment.

That said, I think that when SB told the training center goon a lie on an anonymous and faceless board, he did in a situation where he owed nothing to that person trying to defame him. Insofar, it was legitimate to protect himself. There is no legitimate need for self-protection and lying now; thus it is very unwise of SB to uphold his wrong claim with respect to his degree in Applied Linguistics. He truly doesn’t have any in that subject area, I am convinced of that. A legitimate degree in fashion and modelling is perfectly fine and acceptable if he has any degree in that area. But he should refrain from thinking other readers on here are stupid in this respect. No, we aren’t.

I will also state lying to a defaming training center goon for reasons of self-protection doesn’t necessarily make him a “bad” person.

With respect to his input on “stupid and greedy women in China” and his open racism towards the Chinese in general..- well, that’s another point.

#20 Parent Red pumpkin - 2018-03-29

You can't make that much in China and couldn't in the past because the pay in China is shit for qualified people from the West. If you want to make money, don't go to China for teaching. Look for teaching jobs elsewhere that pay better. .

Certainly nobody posting on this forum ever made 5000 USD a month out of teaching in China. Nothing near that.
#21 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

As a certificate, yes.

If you actually developed something useful from it that you can apply in life, then it can be very useful.

#22 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

I'm willing to to bet hardly anyone on this board has ever made 60,000 USD a year doing
anything anywhere.

You'd lose that bet.

#23 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

If you were a real teacher you would not have chosen
China.

I see. So, by your convoluted and sophomoric logic, if one chooses to teach in China, it proves they are not a real teacher. Do your homework, toddler. Many colleges in America where ESL is offered prefer that their teachers of said subject have had experience teaching abroad. It wouldn't surprise me if Aussie colleges are the same. Moreover, and this should be even more obvious, some folks go to China for a myriad of reasons, academic and otherwise, that someone like yourself who admits to only having gone there for the sex and beer couldn't possibly relate to.

You stated that I am a person of "low moral value and integrity." How did you come to such a conclusion? Don't worry, I don't expect an answer because you don't actually have one that carries any weight. (Less weight, actually, than your claim to have a degree in anything other than fashion and basket weaving.)

Yep, worked in China. No, didn't work at GXU.

In my case I'm not a hypocrite as I never pretended to have a real teaching degree

Illogical. How does that prove you're not a hypocrite? And, by the way, you did pretend to be a teacher. That's how you ended up being a training center "teacher" and helping the charlatans that run them rip off unsuspecting students and their parents. Eventually, of course, you resorted to your convoluted logic and decided that since some training centers are bad they must all be bad.

Your China bashing reveals the same sort of stupid logic. For example, you met or know of a few Chinese women who are gold diggers. Therefore all Chinese women are gold diggers. Some Chinese people you've met have no manners. Therefore, all Chinese have no manners. Chinese women you've slept with are inexperienced and lousy in bed. Therefore, all Chinese women are lousy in bed. Well, the list could go on, but you get my drift.

There's an Australian dude who lives with his mommy and frequents the teacher's forum. He's a racist, a misogynist, a braggart and a liar, and loves shiny things with numbers on them. Therefore, I can only conclude, all Aussie men are racist, misogynistic braggers and liars who just luvvvv their bangels and live with their mommies.

#24 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

What's your point? The ability to provide any constructive criticism about anything or anyone isn't in you, is it? Yes, "China is bad" for many reasons, but not "all Chinese are bad". Yes, there are a lot of disgraceful job opportunities in China, but those offers have really not been created by the local employers. You'd have to understand China a bit more than you do, and you'd have to be more "willing" to bet on people (including women) in general and the board than you do. All in all, this isn't about who's made how much or who's got higher education than who but about esl teachers who may be isolated around the world and who may unable to discuss their issues on the board because of sideshow bobs' projections.

Yes, in China a PhD is really useless. Makes no difference if you are a laowai or a Chinese.

Certainly nobody posting on this forum ever made 5000 USD a month out of teaching in China. Nothing near that.

I'm willing to to bet hardly anyone on this board has ever made 60,000 USD a year doing anything anywhere.

#25 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

Personal attacks from losers such as yourself do not carry any value. That's why we just love to watch you squirm.

#26 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

If he truly is an "Ex-pat" he should tell me where to get the best price on Johnny
Walker Black Label in various countries.

Damn right. Some things are just simply more important than teaching.

#27 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

True 'expat' boards tend to be the lamest of online places. The expat bosses that actually have an important job would not even bother wasting time on LinkedIn, nevermind those sites. The other expats that think they are important, usually aren't. Then there's the lost FOB newbies and... At least they're not English teachers.

Anybody who actually wants to chat with other expats these days just joins WeChat groups for foreigners and sees if their banter gets them kicked out or not. A spinning black cock is the perfect barometer of a group's quality. The boring lame, holier than thou types will stay in the lame groups/use those boards. Others? The cool guys will probably not give a toss and mix it up in the crazy groups with the better examples of English teachers; i.e the ones that don't feel a need to tell everybody what a real teacher they are when they're getting pissed with the other foreigners down at the pub.

This board however, is a wonderful waste of time.

#28 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

Yes, in China a PhD is really useless. Makes no difference if you are a laowai or a Chinese.

I'm willing to to bet hardly anyone on this board has ever made 60,000 USD a year doing anything anywhere.

#29 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

You have no goals or priorities in life and you lack direction. Not that I have any sympathy.

That's the trap that most English teachers fall into. Because there are few opportunities for promotion after that.

In fact, if you have a real degree, you probably have far less chance of getting promoted to that training centre DoS position (unless you have a criminal record); creepy bully guys with nothing to fall back on tend to be easier to control in the eyes of training centre bosses,

We may be really f**king harsh on this board. But if you are lacking in direction, we can help you by steering you away from that dead end that is English teaching and motivate and direct you towards a more promising path.

#30 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

It has become a forum for useless drivel, not one for teachers.

Is that supposed to be an insult? I see it as a badge of honour.

#31 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29
Re: Re are forums bad for you?

Schools have been called out by the admin over wumao type behaviour before; if this board was the centre of the global ESL community, their names would have been ruined by now. However, we're not all that important, so these schools will live on; whilst recruiting slightly fewer victims.

#32 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

I am happy to talk to you, especially about Chomsky, and also linguistics over a few cold beers.

I've told you where I like to hang out. All I need to know is whether you like Chang or Singha.

The beer is on me.

#33 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

A stupid post. None of us have ever met each other in person although I may have come across some posters on here without knowing it if they lived in Nanning before.

You must also have ESP as you think you know me well. You don't.

#34 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

For all the claims about not ever working for less than $5000 a month, the fact is that a PhD only ever usually gets you an extra 1000-2000 RMB per month teaching English at any university in China.

Those like to talk too much about their PhDs and stuff, probably bought theirs online and are hiding their past as a Pizza Hut manager ;) - which by the way, is actually a far more honourable job than being an English teacher in China.

#35 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

You worked there, you were in China. If you were a real teacher you would not have chosen China.

In my case I'm not a hypocrite as I never pretended to have a real teaching degree.

You do and are a person of low moral value and integrity.

#36 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

Correct on all counts. Great post.

#37 Parent Ex-pat - 2018-03-29

Definitely. It can easily be deduced from your well-written posts and the way you structure your arguments. i wish to encourage you to continue standing up against all the BS posted here. I'll do the same.

BTW, I know that IPA is not a nick that Trump is using on Twitter. It's a nickname for a gorilla acting in a movie called King Kong. :D

Whereas I'm the one with degrees that qualify me for the teaching/consulting positions I have chosen, be it abroad or at home.
#38 Parent Ex-pat - 2018-03-29

If your degree in Applied Linguistics is real, we could do it now.

We can talk about linguistics.
#39 Parent Not a Silverboy fan - 2018-03-29

SB is getting a bit angry now because he got caught in a lie with respect to his pretend degree in Applied Linguistics. He is good at telepathy since he is "able" to determine our qualifications from afar without ever having met us in person. I don't wonder anymore, we my reasonably expect such telepathic capabilities from someone who admits he is supporting the use of fake degrees. Well, he has a fake degree in Applied Linguistics himself and knows more than us real degree holders - that IPA does not mean "European Union"... :D

Let me remind you, then, that you are not qualified to make a determination on this matter. Stick to watches. Well no, I mean stick the watches (edit.........)
#40 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

You have no goals or priorities in life and you lack direction.

And you know that why? Because I call bs on your bs? Always have, always well. Remember, you're the one with the degree in fashion and no other. Whereas I'm the one with degrees that qualify me for the teaching/consulting positions I have chosen, be it abroad or at home.

Stop playing the fool. It's not good for your image. Well, the image you think you have.

#41 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

correction: "....does not mean that I taught there."

#42 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

You have admitted you were employed at this crappy university.

Forget much? Being familiar with said university (GXU), as I said before, does mean that I have taught there.

Therefore, on the basis of this fact alone, you have a hard time tracking the truth.

#43 Parent Observer - 2018-03-29
Re: Re are forums bad for you?

Maybe with the exception of VIPKids, infamous for wumao campaigns.

#44 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

Meh, like all slightly pleasurable things; be it drinking, smoking, good food, whores etc, forums should only be enjoyed in moderation.

That's why I often disappear for long periods of time and later reappear. There's other stuff that I can do that either makes me money or is at least, more productive in another sense.

This forum has served a purpose in warning teachers about the perils of the ESL world, our tendency to enjoy watching shit school owners squirm as they are led by us into accidentally exposing themselves as the liars and cheats that they really are, was probably a good and productive thing.

As for Turnoi, some people liked him, some people didn't; he did do a good job of tearing such schools apart in his own comical and amusing way, his wife had apparently died years ago and he already has adult children as far as I'm aware. As for his books being best-sellers... No. If he ever made large amounts of money by writing, it would have most likely been years ago before just about anything could be pirated and people actually bought physical copies rather than using Kindles etc

We may be victims of our own success, but there are less reports of shit schools appearing on here now. I don't think for one moment that we have really done anything to eradicate shit schools in China, but we've made those that bother to do the research aware, shit schools rarely dare to ever post fake positive reviews to recruit teachers etc...

#45 Parent John O'Shei - 2018-03-29

1.) Teachers, whether real or fake, do have lives outside of teaching.

2.) Teachers aren't 'expats,' they're losers that couldn't find anything better to do.

3.) Teachers that pride themselves on being 'real teachers' in China, often turn out to be real creepy bastards.

#46 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

You are obviously not a real teacher otherwise you would not have needed to go to China and work at the "prestigious" ( LOL! ) Guangxi University.

You have admitted you were employed at this crappy university. Therefore, on the basis of this fact alone you are not a real teacher.

I also admitted I worked there but I never claimed to be a real teacher, unlike yourself.

I lived in the Xi Xiang Tang area for a long time and I know all about crappy ol Xi Da and the shit training school it is associated with.

You have proven over many years that you are an ignorant and naive person who lacks life experience.

You have no goals or priorities in life and you lack direction. Not that I have any sympathy.

#47 Parent heretosay - 2018-03-29

Let me
remind you that the other posters on this board are NOT teachers either

That you were a pretend teacher in China has been revealed by you many times - even without that being your intention. However, your pretense at knowing whether or not other posters here are true teachers or not is nothing short of ridiculous.

I understand your need to exhibit trollish behavior but, really, presenting yourself as someone who has knowledge of our individual career paths is rather absurd, wouldn't you agree?

Let me remind you, then, that you are not qualified to make a determination on this matter. Stick to watches. Well no, I mean stick the watches (edit.........)

#48 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

I love that "use a dating site" line, that's just hilarious.

I'm not interested in "dating" women, only idiots who like wasting money do that.

#49 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

If he truly is an "Ex-pat" he should tell me where to get the best price on Johnny Walker Black Label in various countries.

That truly would be some great information for all and sundry.

In return I can provide him with the latest research from the world of Applied Linguistics.

As an "intellectual" he will surely appreciate it.

#50 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

I'm hoping one day I can meet you in Soi 7 or Soi 8 Pattaya for a few beers.

Or better still my favorite beer bar at the top on Soi 10 ( 2 nd rd end )

We can talk about linguistics.

#51 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

I've never claimed to be a teacher. I don't have a teaching degree, never said I have. Let me remind you that the other posters on this board are NOT teachers either, apart from one bloke who used to be a teacher in the UK.

Teaching in China is not a serious job and should not be taken seriously. So your talk about "intellectual standards" and "professionalism" especially in regard to China is a big laugh and you lack any credibility.

For your information Chinese women really are greedy and lazy and stupid and they prove it on a daily basis.

Who are you, the last one to know? LOL!

#52 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

Well "Expat", I think I know who you really are. There is a lot of talk in the "ESL ex-pat community" about whether your "qualifications" and degrees ( PhD and all that ) are in fact real.

I used to be skeptical but now even I doubt if you are really genuine.

You better look in the mirror before you talk about "professionalism" and other such things.

#53 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

As the name of this board suggests, this is one for teachers with posts written by teachers. Most of current regulars like you on here aren't teachers, and if folks like you want to to chat about wristwatches, your kinds, renovating apartments in China or somewhere, or even about certain posters you like or dislike, then do it on an expat board that doesn't focus on teachers. Teachers reading this forum now must think this board is currently useless because of all the drivel and unprofessional stuff, most of which is not related to teaching at all, posted here. You are simply at the wrong place if you post on topics unrelated to teaching on a teachers board.

Your handle seems to suggest you should show us the way to that expats' board. Then we can all discuss tins of beer, pensions, how to get your pension to China, turning up half-cut at the PSB. and how surly they were.

#54 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

I really doubt that you are a teacher. You have simply come to the wrong place to post on your "favorite" topics like "stupid and greedy women" in China, Pattaya, wristwatches, etc. You should either use a dating site or another expat site not focusing on teaching but not post your drivel on a site for teachers. Teachers should be able to expect a more demanding intellectual standard on a teachers board in lieu of the nonsense regularly posted on here. This site has become a sham for pretending to be a teachers board while in reality it is used by unprofessionals to post their drivel here.

Think he's been drinking- 'get you to the Expats' Site indeed, and his name is Expat!

#55 Parent Concerned FT - 2018-03-29

Most of the jobs advertised on here are the usual non-quality jobs by dodgy private ESL providers, and such advertisements do normally not lead to helpful discussions.
This site proved to be useful in a few cases where teachers ran into problems with their dodgy employers, in China or elsewhere. Hence, the School Review board on here may have a useful function - to some extent, at least.
The Discussion forum has proved to be useless for teachers with all the name calling, insults, racist and anti-women comments posted on here. The problem is not only the posters with such comments; it's also one of the mods who allow such posts to come through. It has become a forum for useless drivel, not one for teachers.

The question should be whether the forums are bad for others, the ones who read or would like to read; or, the ones who have been using such sites as this one to get the jobs advertised.
#56 Parent Expat - 2018-03-29

As the name of this board suggests, this is one for teachers with posts written by teachers. Most of current regulars like you on here aren't teachers, and if folks like you want to to chat about wristwatches, your kinds, renovating apartments in China or somewhere, or even about certain posters you like or dislike, then do it on an expat board that doesn't focus on teachers. Teachers reading this forum now must think this board is currently useless because of all the drivel and unprofessional stuff, most of which is not related to teaching at all, posted here. You are simply at the wrong place if you post on topics unrelated to teaching on a teachers board.

But I wonder is this type of forum a distraction from doing the things we really should do?
#57 Parent Expat - 2018-03-29

I really doubt that you are a teacher. You have simply come to the wrong place to post on your "favorite" topics like "stupid and greedy women" in China, Pattaya, wristwatches, etc. You should either use a dating site or another expat site not focusing on teaching but not post your drivel on a site for teachers. Teachers should be able to expect a more demanding intellectual standard on a teachers board in lieu of the nonsense regularly posted on here. This site has become a sham for pretending to be a teachers board while in reality it is used by unprofessionals to post their drivel here.

Whether forums are bad for people or not is a matter of opinion.
#58 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

The question should be whether the forums are bad for others, the ones who read or would like to read; or, the ones who have been using such sites as this one to get the jobs advertised.

#59 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

Some people like me who are retired have plenty of free time and also disposable income.

There is plenty of spare time to post on forums, go shopping, travelling, etc.

Whether forums are bad for people or not is a matter of opinion.

Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29
are forums bad for you?

I see the administration is waxing all nonchalant "If you don't like it sling your hook!" or "We'd axe this site sooner than look at you if you don't behave " But I wonder is this type of forum a distraction from doing the things we really should do? What do you think? Would Turnoi have raised a family of six and written that best-seller by now if he hadn't of used up twenty years writing posts?

Return to Index › are forums bad for you?

Go to another board -