TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Trouble @ Bank of China, 3 emails
#1 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29
Re Trouble @ Bank of China, 3 emails

Now, Ex-Pat, time to look into the problems @ BOC, imaginary scenario -

1 - you've been initially detained for teaching illegally. Your passport has been confiscated, even though you've signed and fingerprinted the statement apologizing for breaking China's visa regulations.

2 - you are set free and given a few days to pay your massive fine. You visit your branch of BOC with your passport retention receipt to accept an urgent transfer of funds to pay your fine, the cost of your subsequent 10 day visa, and your one-way ticket back home in disgrace.

3 - because your transferor abbreviated your name, you get into a fight @ bank! The bank won't budge. Your family can't assist you fast because the transferor won't re-issue the transfer until the BOC returns the initial transfer attempt. Delay of 3 weeks. Rot in a Chinese jail!

BTW, there is no longer the small appliance at the counter for customers to award 5 stars to 1 star for 'teller service'. In case you didn't know!

#2 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29
Re Trouble @ Bank of China, another email

I got my pension this afternoon without any trouble at all. The email from the pension provider did the trick.

#3 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

Pity you won't find yourself in UK for a fortnight or so. Lloyds Bank is the one to open an account with if too much time has elapsed to do a 'credit check' prior to opening an account. All the new immigrants pour into Lloyds.

#4 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29
Re Trouble @ Bank of China, 1 email

On Wednesday, October 25, 2017, 10 PM GMT+8, XXX XXXX of XXXXXX Annuities wrote:

Dear Mr XXXXX,

I am writing to confirm that you are in receipt of a pension from XXX Life Financial of XXXXX.

I can confirm that XXX Life Financial of XXXXX deals with remit pensions and bond encashments.

If you would prefer this in a letter with a header please let me know.

Yours sincerely

Mrs E
On Behalf of XXX Life Financial of XXXXXX

XXX Life Assurance Company of XXXXXX (U.K.) Limited, incorporated in England and Wales, registered number XXXXXX, registered office at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, trades under the name of XXX Life Financial of XXXXXX and is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, confidential and exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.

#5 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29

Dear Mrs E,

Thx for your 2 recent emails.

I will visit the bank on Thursday or Friday armed with a photocopy of your email.

I expect that'll do the trick. I'll keep you updated.

I dunno why the local bank regulatory office has apparently taken the umph against western life insurance companies.

Besides, one would expect banks and bank regulators here to welcome foreign currency remittances.

It seems I'm not alone in experiencing unforeseen problems at the BOC!

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=147918;expand=1#m_147918
Trouble @ Bank of China, 3 emails

#6 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

wouldn't advise anyone to throw his/her lot in with 'wicked' TCs , or any TC at all! They are ALL shitty employers, in my vie
w!

Well, that's why you'll be considered a good chap on this forum.

#7 Parent Ex-Pat - 2018-03-29

It may well be as you say. Not writing the full name or a slight variant thereof that differs from the full name given in my passport is a problem I have also had in China in a special bank transfer business after I sold my house with a piece of land somewhere in Africa. The agent had to send the money to China, I arranged that with him before departure. One of my four first names in the passport was not given in full but in an abbreviated form, and I had a lot of fuss with an incompetent bank official. I simply insisted on seeing the manager, the matter was resolved; the idiot of unwilling bank clerk was criticized by the manager in front of me, and other people around could even hear it. I even didn't have to make some noise like in the Hangzhou bank the first time. I left the bank as a winner instead of a loser, even if there was some hassle and it took a bit of my time.

That's China - and that's me! Do the same, the issue should finally be resolved if you do do it right. Success!

I'm convinced the problems I encountered @ bank emanated because the bank applied its rigid rules and regulations, and that those go beyond standard international banking procedures in terms of rigidity.
#8 Parent Ex-Pat - 2018-03-29

Yes, they may be unwilling, not cooperative and even come across as arrogant. You will come across such people everywhere, inside and outside of China, where they have a tradition of communism and they are taught to only follow the orders of their leaders instead of using their own brain and having enough self-confidence to decide on their own. That's the psychology behind such behavior and reaction patterns.

Arrogant, ignorant and self-serving fuckers. They deserve to be given as much bad publicity as possible. They are scum., fuck em!
#9 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29

But as the problems seem to continue for him, it's quite likely that he failed to do the preliminary paperwork. Or he did not shout loud enough in Chinese to put unwilling bank clerks in their place.

I have ALWAYS done the preliminary paperwork correctly.

Previous problems @ bank have been caused by western banks abbreviating my full name despite having been given the necessary transfer details by myself in advance, including my full name identical to that displayed in my passport.

On a couple of occasions I had lost my temper bigtime and was threatened with ejection from the bank by security if I didn't calm down.

I'm convinced the problems I encountered @ bank emanated because the bank applied its rigid rules and regulations, and that those go beyond standard international banking procedures in terms of rigidity.

#10 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

It is a shit bank. I had problems with them when I was there. Arrogant, ignorant and self-serving fuckers.

They deserve to be given as much bad publicity as possible. They are scum., fuck em!

#11 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29

When you hear me call China shitty, I mean it's literally dirty, and some of the state school and university posts, you find yourself wallowing in filth, windy corridors, left to your own devices if you need to take a break.

I think you must be a fastidious bloke as regards cleanliness of your environment. However, many of us place much less importance on that than you do.

Best to throw your lot in with wicked training centres I believe. I have never had much trouble with training centres.

I wouldn't advise anyone to throw his/her lot in with 'wicked' TCs , or any TC at all! They are ALL shitty employers, in my view!

#12 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

Yes, he once taught illegally and Scottish accent is hard to understand for English learners.

Yes, well we know who started that malicious rumour- two ex-posters who are probably still posting. Let me tell you this, when it comes to native-born English accents I am a good judge and I do have trouble understanding, say men from Devonshire and many parts of the North, also some American accents, but the Scot you are talking about speaks the Queen's English and is a pleasure to understand, having spoken to him several times.

From time to time all Westerners will be accused of being difficult to understand if the accents they are used to are their own Chinese teachers, or even bloody Russians.

#13 Parent Ex-Pat - 2018-03-29

Yes, he once taught illegally and Scottish accent is hard to understand for English learners. He reported about similar problems a few years back. Bank people in China are often incompetent when it comes to foreign matters such as bank transfer or either receiving or sending money via Western Union. But as the problems seem to continue for him, it's quite likely that he failed to do the preliminary paperwork. Or he did not shout loud enough in Chinese to put unwilling bank clerks in their place. I did the same once in Hangzhou after I felt pissed off by a person not properly dealing with my request to send money from China by Western Union for a third time. I wasn't very nice then and told them something about their non-professionalism in a loud voice so that they called the bank manager, and then it was suddenly sorted out in minutes. Wonders may even happen in China...

Chinese don't like to lose face, especially when a foreigner shouts to them in Chinese because of their incompetence and unwillingness. After my comments on their incompetence, I was asking them if they had their training in a monkey house and were fed with bananas during that training for their job at the bank. That medicine worked incredibly well as I finally got what I wanted after a lot of hassle.

They must have twigged that you've been teaching illegally in China for years and years!
#14 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

Westerners in China will have to deal with SURLY PSB officials and INTRUSIVE bank staff at one time or another.

FTs here will also encounter obstruction, unfairness and deceit from their employers from time to time.

Fair enough. Although I was lucky with both of those. When you hear me call China shitty, I mean it's literally dirty, and some of the state school and university posts, you find yourself wallowing in filth, windy corridors, left to your own devices if you need to take a break. Best to throw your lot in with wicked training centres I believe. I have never had much trouble with training centres. No trouble as such with universities and middle schools, just the conditions- and I have never ever seen a bar of soap in the toilets. Often floated out of the places on a sea of shit though.

#15 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29

Westerners in China will have to deal with SURLY PSB officials and INTRUSIVE bank staff at one time or another.

FTs here will also encounter obstruction, unfairness and deceit from their employers from time to time.

It's their country, not ours. One needs to have a kind of pioneering attitude in order to surmount the obstacles. For many westerners, they can't accept the different culture here. So, they depart China ASAP, never to return.

That said, I wish each FT here an enjoyable and profitable experience at his/her workplace and outside of it.

#16 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29

I've been receiving an annual private occupational pension payment ever since I became 51. I've not had this particular problem until now. I suspect the bank regulator is trying to prevent money-laundering by tightening rules. Said rules and regulations have likely come into effect recently.

It's not a matter of visa types or possible illegal teaching as applicable to me! You're barking up the wrong tree!

#17 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

To be fair to that bank, how can they trust what you tell them after they have seen all the consecutive spousal visas in your passport?

They must have twigged that you've been teaching illegally in China for years and years!

What's wrong with that is he hasn't been teaching illegally in China for years. He proves he has no need to work as he get's his pensions which he's been collecting for years if you pay attention to what he says, and has said..

#18 Parent The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29

I've been receiving an annual private occupational pension payment ever since I became 51. I've not had this particular problem until now. I suspect the bank regulator is trying to prevent money-laundering by tigntening rules.

Wifey quarrelled vociferously @ bank while I sat down, knowing it would be unproductive. I'm maybe somewhat stoic these days.

I'm sure I'll get my pension soon. I know how to deal with banks.

Bankers may be wankers, but it's possible to get justice in the end if one perseveres.

#19 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

Hope it all comes right. Interesting aspect of a retired FT's life in China.

#20 Parent uprooter - 2018-03-29

To be fair to that bank, how can they trust what you tell them after they have seen all the consecutive spousal visas in your passport?

The Usual Suspect - 2018-03-29
Trouble @ Bank of China, 3 emails

Dear Ms E........,

My pension plans XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX

This morning, Tuesday 24th October, the BOC texted my agent, who just happens to be my Chinese wife, that a TT had been received for processing into my account.

This afternoon I turned up there, after which I was questioned as to why XXX Life Insurance Co of XXXXXX, AN INSURANCE COMPANY, GOD FORBID, was attempting to send me GBP.

I suspect that whenever foreign currency is TT'ed to a western individual in the PRC, bank officials reserve the right to ask why said individual has arranged said transfer(s)! The word 'pension' cuts little ice here. It boils down to a matter of TRUST, and western individuals aren't held in high esteem in that regard!

I will have to return 2 days later to get the transfer effected, maybe, maybe not!

It seems to me that Chinese banking procedure is weird, but not wonderful!

What would help me, and later my wife, after I am deceased, is an e-mail from yourselves to me stating that INSURANCE COMPANIES by name in the west also remit pensions and bond encashments, completely distinct services from INSURANCE/ASSURANCE.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXX

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017, 6:25:57 PM GMT+8, Mrs E wrote:

I am out of the Office until the 25 October 2017 and will deal with my emails on my return.

The problem seems to have been caused by the fact that your TT advice doesn't SPECIFY the reason for the proposed TT from yourselves to me.

I told them it was an annual private occupational pension. However, my bank is sceptical. It is controlled by a central regulatory office, and the boss thereof is a Commie bar steward.

My better half is having difficulties with that office re attempted bond encashments through another insurance company, one that administers my wife's bond, said bond having been transferred previously from me to her. The bar steward refuses to meet my wife. He is aloof and full of himself.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXX.

Return to Index › Trouble @ Bank of China, 3 emails

Go to another board -