TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › A disgrace: US to allow imports of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe, Zambia
#1 Parent Columban - 2018-03-29
Re: Re A disgrace: US to allow imports of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe, Zambia

I would love to export this new discovery to China; this sort of commodity may be useful for targeting crap school owners and agents. :D

Here's Britains/the world's newest snake, Fife. WE won't be flogging it to the yanks.
#2 Parent Taffy - 2018-03-29
Re: Re A disgrace: US to allow imports of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe, Zambia

this and your previous post are excellent posts

They are, they are. But we should save a little praise for Fifi- she hasn't shied away from condemning the Africans for allowing the animals under their care to be sold off as old bones and trophies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/07/new-snake-species-discovered-britaindespite-living-noses-along/

Here's Britains/the world's newest snake, Fife. WE won't be flogging it to the yanks.

#3 Parent Fifi - 2018-03-29
Re A disgrace: US to allow imports of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe, Zambia

Resistance works!!!!
"Facing Public Outrage, Trump Puts Elephant Trophy Decision ‘On Hold’"

#4 Parent Curious - 2018-03-29

Good post!

#5 Parent Curious - 2018-03-29

this and your previous post are excellent posts

#6 Parent In the Know - 2018-03-29

The issues you mention below are another cup of tea. In my previous post, I tried to point out that a military coup must not always be bad thing. In the 1970s, there was a military coup d'état against the Portuguese dictator Salazar, and the military men making the coup were democratically inspired and true patriots. The Salazar regime had fought a useless war to oppress the liberation movements in Portugal's former African colonies Mocambique and Angola.

Elephant hunting by Americans has been an evil for ages, perhaps interrupted by the Obama administration. In the first place, nations like Zimbabwe and Zambia should not allow this to happen. It's pure exploitation what these wealthy elephant hunters do. It's a shame and disgrace towards God's creation. Plain and simple.

Chinese and other business people have become a problem more recently in Africa. When I was in Kenya (where I was living and working for many years), I had the opportunity to experience Chinese businesses there myself. It was even worse than what I know from businesses in China, and I have met many angry Africans not paid in full or in time by their arrogant and racist Chinese bosses. The only solution I can see is the intellectual, political and social empowerment of African people themselves to put these nasty bosses in their place. Empowerment comes by education and by organising politically, for example, as trade unions. There is an old saying I learned from the IRA:

United we stand, divided we fall!

Very true indeed!

Enlightening reply but what about the elephants and the eager Chinese and American poachers that've just become legal business people?
#7 Parent Brock The Badger - 2018-03-29

I am always wondering about the ignorance of the computer keyboard warriors who are commenting on issues they know nothing about.

I have followed the political development in Zimbabwe very closely in the past 4 decades or so. When I was a student, Mugabe and his ZANU were still freedom fighters in Zimbabwe formerly called Rhodesia. When I graduated, Zimbabwe was liberated and Mugabe came to power as the first Prime Minister. He has been a dictatorial ruler for the past three and half decades, and although everything looked promising at the beginning, his regime managed to ruin the country politically and economically.

Zimbabwe is populated by a number of different ethnic groups, one of the largest being the Tsonga speaking a Bantu language of the linguistic Southern Bantu language group called Xitsonga.

Political parties and their followers in many African nations are organised along ethnic lines. That is, in Kenya, for example, the largest ethnic group are the those speaking Kikuyu, and they support the current President Kenyatta from the same tribe. The opposition leader is a Luo and his followers are also mostly Luo. It's less political concepts that matter than ethnic affiliation that does matter. There are evidently inter-ethnic conflicts between various groups, and they also work along these political party lines bound by ethnic affiliation. Those in power, as a rule, are corrupt and thus ruin the country.

This also applies in the case of Mugabe and his ZANU. He and his clique had been in power for too long, and since dictatorial regimes will not simply disappear when losing a parliamentary election, the only option for a change is a military coup. It was high time for this to happen in the case of Zimbabwe, and whether things get better or would even go worse remains to be seen. I wish them well, and the political opposition has all my support and sympathy there. In other words: The military coup has all the potentials of a change and a new beginning which has been long overdue.

A truly excellent post. It's knowledgeable posters like yourself who yank this forum back from the precipice which looks down as far as the eye can see on a stinking rubbish tip. Well said that man.

#8 Parent Fifi - 2018-03-29
Another disgrace: US to allow imports of lion trophies

I AM SO DISGUSTED BY THIS ADMINISTRATION. SO SO SO SO SO DISGUSTED.

#9 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

Enlightening reply but what about the elephants and the eager Chinese and American poachers that've just become legal business people?

I am always wondering about the ignorance of the computer keyboard warriors who are commenting on issues they know nothing about.

I have followed the political development in Zimbabwe very closely in the past 4 decades or so. When I was a student, Mugabe and his ZANU were still freedom fighters in Zimbabwe formerly called Rhodesia. When I graduated, Zimbabwe was liberated and Mugabe came to power as the first Prime Minister. He has been a dictatorial ruler for the past three and half decades, and although everything looked promising at the beginning, his regime managed to ruin the country politically and economically.

Zimbabwe is populated by a number of different ethnic groups, one of the largest being the Tsonga speaking a Bantu language of the linguistic Southern Bantu language group called Xitsonga.

Political parties and their followers in many African nations are organised along ethnic lines. That is, in Kenya, for example, the largest ethnic group are the those speaking Kikuyu, and they support the current President Kenyatta from the same tribe. The opposition leader is a Luo and his followers are also mostly Luo. It's less political concepts that matter than ethnic affiliation that does matter. There are evidently inter-ethnic conflicts between various groups, and they also work along these political party lines bound by ethnic affiliation. Those in power, as a rule, are corrupt and thus ruin the country.

This also applies in the case of Mugabe and his ZANU. He and his clique had been in power for too long, and since dictatorial regimes will not simply disappear when losing a parliamentary election, the only option for a change is a military coup. It was high time for this to happen in the case of Zimbabwe, and whether things get better or would even go worse remains to be seen. I wish them well, and the political opposition has all my support and sympathy there. In other words: The military coup has all the potentials of a change and a new beginning which has been long overdue.

#10 Parent In the Know - 2018-03-29

#11 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

Truly outrageous. And it seems as if the news come right after the coup in Zimbabwe that's been rumoured to have initiated with a permission from China where traditional medicine is a good business. I guess Trump must've agreed on something in Beijing a few days ago...the elephant in the room

Fifi - 2018-03-29
A disgrace: US to allow imports of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe, Zambia

US authorities will remove restrictions on importing African elephant trophies from Zimbabwe and Zambia.

That means Americans will soon be able to hunt the endangered big game, an activity that garnered worldwide attention when a Minnesota dentist took Cecil, perhaps the world's most famous lion, near a wildlife park in Zimbabwe.

Critics, however, note the restrictions were created by the Obama administration in 2014 because the African elephant population had dropped. The animals are listed in the US Endangered Species Act, which requires the US government to protect endangered species in other countries.
Return to Index › A disgrace: US to allow imports of elephant trophies from Zimbabwe, Zambia

Go to another board -