TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Question re pronunciation competency in adult ESL students
#1 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29
Re Question re pronunciation competency in adult ESL students

Your crap English AGAIN! You have to resort to teaching English in China and ironically you ain't even good at that. BTW, you can call me "The Great Man" from now on. I know you are jealous of my lifestyle. I can do all the things that you can only dream of. Suffer in your jocks, lol!

#2 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

Your mental images lack senses. Your understanding of the role of PowerPoint in education and business is hilarious to say the least. What you think about me is supper funny. Renaming yourself to Sideshow Bob would describe your character better than Silverboy does. Keep your hard work up on the forums :)

#3 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

Oh, I take your left and right hand competent word for it dipstick!

#4 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

Fool! FT in PRC is not Turnoi.

Wake up you moron!

#5 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

You should be called "Mr PPT". I can imagine you sitting around at some shit IELTS centre in Shanghai or Guangzhou all day showing PPT's.

I know that's what goes on at the useless SCIC places in China. All the stupid fuckwits there do all day is use PPT's.

#6 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

Using the same derogatory words over and over, you've proved your "communication skills". Moreover, you've assured all readers Powerpoint is useless as repetitive lack of manners gets all the points well across. All in all, you're the king of the board for most of the power here comes from you.

PPT"s are for fools with no social skills or communication skills. It is why the idiotic Chinese use them, and people like you who can't survive outside of China and English teaching. You are a sad and sick and twisted individual with no credibility, no morals, and no brains.
#7 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

The judg mental doctor strikes again. I think his education and experiences are more "suspect" than the original poster's message is.

I think your listening comprehension skills are suspect.

Anyone living in an urban area in Canada is familiar with an international cast of English as 2nd language speakers and will easily understand your students or promptly negotiate meaning with them. Backwoods Canadians only speak Moose anyway, eh keener?

Chinese teachers are manic about pronunciation and do an adequate job in teaching that
language component. Most FTs are clueless about teaching pronunciation...
#8 Parent Maxwell - 2018-03-29

Your post is highly impressive! I admire you very much!

I have a job offer from China on the table!

I'm a white native male speaker of English of 28 years. I have minimal academic qualifications and little teaching experience. The teaching burden is 18 classes a week to freshmen at a state senior high school in the backwoods of north China. After class I can return to my apartment to relax myself. I won't be charged rent for my apartment, and the meals at noon in the school canteen are free only if I eat the same foods as the students.

I want to know what would you deem to be a fair monthly paycheck for me?

#9 Parent FTinPRC - 2018-03-29

I think your listening comprehension skills are suspect.

Anyone living in an urban area in Canada is familiar with an international cast of English as 2nd language speakers and will easily understand your students or promptly negotiate meaning with them. Backwoods Canadians only speak Moose anyway, eh keener?

I have taught English in China to thousands of University freshman, English and non-English majors, and have little difficulty understanding their spoken English. Like most New Yorkers, I have honed my listening comprehension skills on the #7 subway train in Queens.

Chinese teachers are manic about pronunciation and do an adequate job in teaching that language component. Most FTs are clueless about teaching pronunciation, believing that their native language fluency qualifies them as teachers. Possessing an advanced skill is often a barrier to teaching it. I would not want Kobe Bryant to teach my son how to play basketball. In a like manner, I would not want most IELTS examiners teaching English in China.

Chinese students that study at universities overseas quickly improve their spoken language ability. Immersion does that. Unfortunately, after years of Chinese education, they will likely never participate in class discussions.

Their writing is another matter. Neither Chinese English teachers nor FTs are able to write English. This board is ample proof of that.

Chinglish is now the international business language of Asia. Your students should worry more about their English vocabulary and their own English listening comprehension for their future domestic careers rather than sounding like a Brit when they chat with their bored underpaid Canadian TA or Adjunct.

#10 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

PPT"s are for fools with no social skills or communication skills. It is why the idiotic Chinese use them, and people like you who can't survive outside of China and English teaching. You are a sad and sick and twisted individual with no credibility, no morals, and no brains.

#11 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

Your board contribution suggests you have no education but a connecting room to the mod team. PPT's a part of education in many places on Earth as well as it is in many fields of business. Anyhow, I am not trying to compete with you for the moron of the boards position; so, don't be so uptight!

#12 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

Oh, another idiot who believes in use of PPT's. You really are a joke.

Typical of useless laowai who have been in China for way too long.

Useless Chinese teachers use PPT's, it all they know how to do.

They can't conduct a class without using a PPT.

I even lambasted and humiliated a few Chinese teachers at a university for using PPT's.
every day.

Nobody should listen to you [edited]

#13 Parent Silverboy - 2018-03-29

If their level is not up to acceptable standard in English speaking Western countries, no, you should not pass them.

Believe me, I have a degree in Applied Linguistics and a TESOL certificate.

#14 Parent caring - 2018-03-29

From my experience, more "unintelligible" are group discussions than presentations as students are less capable to be articulate and coherent in their debates than PPTs. This is, I believe, for the requirement to be unscripted and spontaneous when participating in arguments which is not quite the case when giving PowerPoint. All in all, heavy accents are one thing, nonsense mumbling another. How serious pronunciation problems can be prevented, or perhaps reduced, should be looked at prior to or at the entry to such academic programs.

Mindy - 2018-03-29
Question re pronunciation competency in adult ESL students

Just a quick survey for those who don't mind responding. I teach English for Academic Purposes to interm.-advanced adult international students (mainly Asian) at an accredited, highly respected Canadian college with the goal of the students entering regular academic programs. Some students meet all objectives and outcomes for speaking (grammar, fluency, vocab, stress, rhythm, presentations, etc.) but their pronunciation for some sounds is so poor that their speaking is impossible to understand. Focused interventions and practice do not help. Technically the students have met the threshold to pass the course but I am torn as to whether to pass a student whose speaking is unintelligible. Thoughts?

Return to Index › Question re pronunciation competency in adult ESL students

Go to another board -