TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Question re pronunciation competency in adult ESL students
FTinPRC - 2018-03-29

I think your listening comprehension skills are suspect.

Anyone living in an urban area in Canada is familiar with an international cast of English as 2nd language speakers and will easily understand your students or promptly negotiate meaning with them. Backwoods Canadians only speak Moose anyway, eh keener?

I have taught English in China to thousands of University freshman, English and non-English majors, and have little difficulty understanding their spoken English. Like most New Yorkers, I have honed my listening comprehension skills on the #7 subway train in Queens.

Chinese teachers are manic about pronunciation and do an adequate job in teaching that language component. Most FTs are clueless about teaching pronunciation, believing that their native language fluency qualifies them as teachers. Possessing an advanced skill is often a barrier to teaching it. I would not want Kobe Bryant to teach my son how to play basketball. In a like manner, I would not want most IELTS examiners teaching English in China.

Chinese students that study at universities overseas quickly improve their spoken language ability. Immersion does that. Unfortunately, after years of Chinese education, they will likely never participate in class discussions.

Their writing is another matter. Neither Chinese English teachers nor FTs are able to write English. This board is ample proof of that.

Chinglish is now the international business language of Asia. Your students should worry more about their English vocabulary and their own English listening comprehension for their future domestic careers rather than sounding like a Brit when they chat with their bored underpaid Canadian TA or Adjunct.

View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Question re pronunciation competency in adult ESL students

Go to another board -