TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › A free software to learn Chinese - Review
Another Willie - 2018-03-29

Smart Chinese Reader 3.3 currently is free software (for Windows). It allows you to “translate” Chinese text into English and have this Chinese text being read aloud to you if you wish. It is owned and actively developed by Mr. Yu Yifeng, a researcher at a Chinese university, and can be freely downloaded from here:

http://www.nlptool.com/download.html

For high-speed internet download, you may also try the link at gelber-kaiser.de, my own homepage server, safe and fast, being hosted in Germany.

Being also a dedicated teacher of Chinese, I would recommend the use of this software for training reading and listening comprehension to be used by beginniung and upper intermediate Western learners of Chinese. However, there are some limitations you need to be aware of: The Chinese-English translation database is from CEDICT and thus not always high quality in this free software. Second, machine-based “translation” has its obvious limitations in terms of translation quality; personally, I believe, Smart Reader is still doing a much better job in this respect than Google, for example. While this software “translation” may be far from perfect, it’s still good enough to give you a fair idea of what the Chinese text content is about.

· Previous · Next Return to Index › A free software to learn Chinese - Review

Go to another board -