TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › how much English should I speak at the ESL classes?
#1 Parent nastasime - 2018-09-29
Re how much English should I speak at the ESL classes?

Thank you for the reply! I'd like to know how you deal with this. How do your colleagues deal? What is your personal opinion? How much ENglish do you speak at your classes?

#2 Parent FTinPRC - 2018-09-20
Re how much English should I speak at the ESL classes?

Academicians in Second Language Learning have varying responses to your question. There is no consensus, which is understandable given the variability of language learners, their objectives and the competency of their 'teachers'.
You are teaching English as a foreign language EFL and English is not your native language.
I can tell you that in China, the vast majority of native Chinese Teachers of English vary greatly in the degree of English that they use in the classroom.
I can also tell you that the general result of their efforts are college students that are relatively competent at reading, adequate at listening comprehension, and horrific at writing and speaking.
I believe that limited use of spoken English in elementary and high school classrooms in part explains these results.

nastasime - 2018-09-18
how much English should I speak at the ESL classes?

Hi dear colleagues!

I've been always struggling to stick to an idea of how much should I push my students into speaking ENglish, considering that English is a foreign language for me and for them? SHould just speak English to them and let them address me in our lang. and talk among themselves unless they're presenting results of the task? Should I pretend I don't understand our lang to make them speak only English? The 3d option? I would usually do the 1st and sometimes ask them to speak ENglish, so I haven't been really consistent with this

How do you usually deal with this issue if you teach in your home country or abroad? Please share your experience and ideas!

Return to Index › how much English should I speak at the ESL classes?

Go to another board -