TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Questions about bringing your children on an ESL contract to S Korea
#1 Parent Mike - 2004-06-15
Re: Questions about bringing your children on an ESL contract to S Korea

You will find that you can not obtain an E-2 visa to teach in Korea from within Korea. An E-2 visa has to be obtained outside of Korea.
You basically have two choices regarding obtaining an E-2 Teaching Visa:- One, obtain the visa in your home country before you leave, or two, go to Korea on a visitor visa and find a job there that will pay for you to go on a visa run to Japan. Good Luck in your search.

#2 Parent Teri - 2004-06-15

I recently got a job offer from a wonderful school in Korea. My husband, who does not have a BA, didn't want me to leave for a year without him (and I didn't want to leave him either!) So, the principal at the school was more than willing to find us a bigger apartment. He also agreed to pay for my husband's airfare, on the promise that the school would withhold some money every month to pay off his airfare. They also agreed, in writing, to advance some money to us when we got there to help cover expenses until I began teaching. Very nice supportive school! Unfortunately, I was unable to take the position. The school is called Solomon School, though, and the gentleman I talked with was named Don Lee.

teri

#3 Parent Matt p. - 2004-06-15

knj,

I don't think any school in Korea will pay the plane ticket of your family. They only pay the plane ticket of the teacher to be. Don't be disappointed if schools and recruiters in korea do not reply back to you. They don't like to hire teachers abroad bringing their families. This is a sad note, but a reality.

If you have a BA, now you have to contact recruiters and schools.

Make sure to have:

a picture of you scanned
your BA scanned
your resume
Also if you find a job, you have to be in contact with a korean consulate to do a certified copy of your diploma and mail this info to your school/recruiter in Korea.

Always good if you use the word *THANK YOU*. Good habit, specially when you travel abroad.

Best.

#4 Parent knj - 2004-06-15

I am hearing so many different things. What I heard is that the school pays for your E-2 Visa, plane ticket and room and board. I'd rather go over with the visa instead of trying to get one once I'm there.

#5 Parent knj - 2004-06-15

I have a BA already. Isn't it best to get a work visa before you get there?

#6 Parent Kim - 2004-06-15

The lady wrote;

"What is a key-money deposit?"
From 300 to 700 US$, depends of the area/city and apt. (smaller cities/towns, do not require key rent deposit).

"So when applying for the position just tell them I want a rent subsidy?"
Depends if school provide rent subsidy. Some schools do not provide. They place the teachers with other teachers in share apts.

"Also, the school will pay for your passport and plane ticket, but not that of your children?"
As far as i know; no school in Korea pays for anyone's passports or their dependants. Schools pay for the visa letter form only(most of the time).

My advise: Travel to Korea and look for a job when you are here.
Also, you most have a BA if you are planning to work in Korea legally, under a E2 visa.

Any other question welcome. Best to you and your family. Kim

#7 Parent Matt p. - 2004-06-15

Hello there: My opinion: Come to Korea with your family in your own. settle here for a few days and then look for a PT or full time job.
I have right now more than 100 young single english teachers seeking jobs in Seoul (all of then already in Korea, some of them desperate). You'll need a BA if you want to apply for a teacher's working visa in Korea and a sponsor school. I still suggest to you PT teaching to kids, probably at your or their house. Good luck.

#8 Parent Mike B - 2004-06-14

Key money deposit is you make a big deposit into a bank account, the apartment owner gets the interest and at the end of the contract you get back the principal and the landlord keeps the interest. That way you pay no rent (if the deposit is high enough) or partial rent.

From what I have read it not a deal you want to attempt yourself, in general I think you choose a place, the school pays the deposit and you then pay the rent. Some schools then charge you a nominal rent for the interest on the deposit, according to a couple of sample contracts I have seen.

The school won't pay for your kids airfares, for that reaon I am leaving mine in Guatemala with their mom and then I'll save like a, errr big saver, until I can afford to bring them all over.

From several answers I have gotten many schools are not over keen to hire people with families, if you are already in Korea with your husband though I don't imagine it would be a big problem.

Hopefully somebody with some on the ground experience can add something definite to this.

#9 Parent knj - 2004-06-14

What is a key-money deposit? So when applying for the position just tell them I want a rent subsidy? Also, the school will pay for your passport and plane ticket, but not that of your children?

#10 Parent Mike B - 2004-06-14

I'm not yet in Korea, but plan to be there before September and will be in a similar situation (minus the army part).

Many schools offer an accomodation allowance instead of an apartment, the typical advertised figure is 300-400,000. Some offer a key-money deposit instead, and some seem to offer a combination of both. When you apply for a job I guess you should let them know from the start you want a rent subsidy and not an apartment.

Good luck
Mike

knj - 2004-06-14
Questions about bringing your children on an ESL contract to S Korea

My husband is in the Army and stationed in Korea. I would like to apply for a teaching contract and understand that if you are accepted they pay for your apt, etc.. How does that work if you have children? Would my husband and I be able to rent an apt. on our own? Would the school supplement our rent? I really am confused about this? What are my options?

Return to Index › Questions about bringing your children on an ESL contract to S Korea

Go to another board -