TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Are children with ESL recieving enough support in schools?
#1 Parent Janice M. Sapp - 2004-06-22
Re: Are children with ESL recieving enough support in schools?

> I want to know people's views on the support for children with ESL in
> school settings. Does any one have any knowledge that may be useful
> to me. I am doing a dissertation on children with ESL and the affects
> it might have on some.

Having moved from the East Coast of the US to Texas about 10 years ago, I was shocked to see the lack of funding for ESL in a state whose ESL population is so high. When I taught in the public schools, I found the funding to be stingy to say the least, for TX is rich with oil million/billionaires. Our immigrants make, in my view, an easy and relatively inexpensive way of life. We found TX to be about 30% less costly than the East Coast. This lack of funding delays the progress of immigrant families in many ways. Public schools seldom afford adult literacy programs. And, my adult students are hungry to learn! My feeling is that without adult literacy/ESL education, ESL kids make slower progress, attend college less frequently, and generally enter the American culture less slowly.

SHALINI - 2004-06-15
Are children with ESL recieving enough support in schools?

I want to know people's views on the support for children with ESL in school settings. Does any one have any knowledge that may be useful to me. I am doing a dissertation on children with ESL and the affects it might have on some.

Return to Index › Are children with ESL recieving enough support in schools?

Go to another board -