TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Going to China - have a question
#1 Parent Chunping Alex Wu - 2004-07-25
Re: Going to China - have a question

> I will be spending almost 2 months this summer teaching at a summer
> camp for expatriate and local students in China. I have a question
> for anyone who has been - I want to bring my Bible with me (for
> personal study), but am not sure if I can bring it into the country.
> Am I allowed to bring a Bible (just one, for my own use) into China?

> Thanks

Theatrenut:

You are quite all right to bring a bible for your own use. As far as I know, teachers from other lands are not supposed to preach.

Two years ago, I brought two new testments for reference. I thought the Bible, western mythologies are the bases of most of the western culture. I myself have a certificate in Religion teaching, but I am not religious. Besides, without the contents of the Bible, whatelse can you find in ordinary conversation in the western life? It's a very good reference for the language study.

Alex Wu

#2 Parent Tim - 2004-06-15
Re: who could give me a bible

I have a couple of Bibles in English and can spare one for you if you like. Just email me at timdenbok@yahoo.ca with your mailing address and I will send you one of mine. It isn't new but I never think it is right if someone who can't buy a Bible doesn't have one.
Email me.

#3 Parent Jeff - 2004-06-15
of course you can

I know many friends who brought a bible into China. Actually, you can get them in many bookstores in China if you want to. But keep in mind that you will not share it with other Chinese, especially your students. Although China has been relaxing with regard to religious beliefs these years, it's possible to get you and your students into trouble if the situation is not handled properly.

#4 Parent Li - 2004-06-13

Hello theatrenut,

Yes, you can bring your bible for personal study. I suggest you put your bible visible (obvious to the eye) in your luggage. If possible put a temporary label on the bible that reads: Bible for personal use only. This should be enough. Border control staff in china just follow rules.

Have a great stay in China.

#5 Parent Jose Lee - 2004-06-13
Re: who could give me a bible

Dear Sir,

Pls kindly tell me where i am able to apply for a free bible in english.

Your bible is not banned in China by the customs officer.
You might discuss the Bible with intimate freinds .

Hope you are great.

#6 Parent Tony - 2004-06-13

Hi there,

yes you can bring your bible to China - in fact I have a fellow teacher who regularly attends the Catholic church here in Nanjing.

As long as you do not try to publicly or privately preach you will not have a problem.
Religious freedom is slowly evolving here, but caution should be taken at all times.

You may find your contract will have a clause in it regarding religion.

Just remember that this country has enough problems without complicating it with western religion.

I hope you have an enjoyable and rewarding time here.

theatrenut - 2004-06-13
Going to China - have a question

I will be spending almost 2 months this summer teaching at a summer camp for expatriate and local students in China. I have a question for anyone who has been - I want to bring my Bible with me (for personal study), but am not sure if I can bring it into the country. Am I allowed to bring a Bible (just one, for my own use) into China?

Thanks

Return to Index › Going to China - have a question

Go to another board -