TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESP: Matters for the New Age.
Mike B - 2004-07-27
In response to Re: ESP: Matters for the New Age. (Chunping Alex Wu)

Hello guys

I agree with Alex, English has to be used for something, not just as another subject to fill in 50 minutes a day, or whatever. Most of my students are business or computer students, so they will be much more interested discussing the privatization of PEMEX or technology or even GW Bush than they will be talking about stuff their textbook might include, Prince Charles'living room, for a particularly bad example.

Where are your students going to use English? What things are they going to use it for? Answer these questions and you can tailor your materials to be directly applicable in their future lives.

For my part I see that the key to English is being understood, and nobody is going to make an all out effort to understand something that is boring, out-dated, or irrelevent, as are many of the materials we get to work with.

BTW Carlos, where in Mexico are you? I am in Oaxaca state. I've been teaching in Guatemala and Mexico since 1995 but will be leaving in 3 weeks for Korea.

Cheers
Mike B.

Messages In This Thread
ESP: Matters for the New Age. -- Carlos Garca Snchez -- 2004-07-26
Re: ESP: Matters for the New Age. -- Chunping Alex Wu -- 2004-07-27
Re: ESP: Matters for the New Age. -- Mike B -- 2004-07-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESP: Matters for the New Age.

Go to another board -