TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: chinese schools are not aware
Ellis E. Seamone - 2004-08-04
In response to Re: chinese schools are not aware (Mike B)

> I was born very white-skinned, so that has never been a problem for
> me in finding a job. However as I get older I find that many doors
> don't open based on my age. I have just turned 42, so I'm far from
> ancient, but for many employers 35 seems to be the limit for English
> teachers.

> Like you say, "It's their loss, not mine," and there are
> places that will hire a decent teacher despite the fact he or she
> doesn't fit their poster pinup idea of what a teacher looks like.

> Still, it is always disheartening being knocked back for what seem
> like the wrong reasons.

==========================================================================

Mike ... we meet again!

You mention your just having reached your 42nd birthday. Happy Birthday, "youngster!" I, myself, have just hit 67, while I'm still hard at it in the ESL biz. WHY? Because I LOVE IT! B-U-T, when our dear colleague discusses hardships endured in our field because of her color, while you and I because of our age, we must make note of ANOTHER malady, namely prejudice, which must be stamped out in the international ESL marketplace. But, as you say, an employer has a right to hire only that person who exemplifies his/her vision of "the perfect instructor." Of course, being so uncompromisingly restrictive (hard-headed, if you wish) in one's hiring practices most assuredly presents a serious risk of passing over the TRUE talent that could help a school grow. Once again, that is the employer's prerogative. And, Mike, as you also quite appropriately state the case, REJECTION surely pays no homage to one's confidence, let alone his/her years of devotion to the field of language communication. In view of this reality, it is paramount that, with each personal humiliation encountered, one build a stronger outer shell which will withstand the injury of disappointment while NOT destroying one iota of continued interest in teaching. After all, to my knowledge, no one ever experienced life as a breeze ... except, possibly, those poor slobs who, by being constantly exposed to such "breeze," eventually died of the flu!

Keep the faith, folks, and we'll get through EACH and EVERY adversity!

Love to all,
Ellis

Messages In This Thread
chinese schools are not aware -- King Lee -- 2004-07-27
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- Deborah Rogers -- 2004-07-28
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- Ian -- 2004-07-28
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- King Lee -- 2004-07-28
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- Alan M. -- 2004-07-28
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- DoS -- 2004-07-28
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- newbie sensei -- 2004-07-28
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- Mike B -- 2004-07-28
Re: chinese schools are not aware -- Ellis E. Seamone -- 2004-08-04
Re: chinese schools are not aware - yet there is hope -- Jack Kanoi -- 2004-08-08
JACK, JACK...KEEP THAT UPPER LIP AS STIFF AS HELL!!! -- Ellis E. Seamone -- 2004-08-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: chinese schools are not aware

Go to another board -