TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › C'mon, guys ... it's time to draw the line between fact and fantasy !
Ellis E. Seamone - 2004-08-11

In these posts over the past few months, I've noticed far too many accusations on the part of the Chinese hosts that ALL "foreign experts" imported from the West are, in fact, Bible thumpers and Jesus hucksters! C'mon guys ... have a heart! Since the age of 13, the only times I've personally gone to a church have been for one baptism, three funeral services, and the ongoing musical presentations in which I both participate and am justly remunerated. Outside of that, I've rarely, if ever, thought of Christ or the religion .. . and, I might add that I've been quite happy with the arrangement (Sorry, you religious Christians. So, SUE ME, already!). Likewise, my very best friend, a Jew, whom I've known for a good 60 years, told me that he purposely avoids going to the synagogue ... and he's an extremely happy full-professor at a leading engineering university in Southern California. You see, my Chinese friends, coming from the West -- where, granted, there ARE many religious fanatics -- DOES NOT signify that ALL Westerners are inundated by impulses generated by an excessively fervent pietistic inclination.

While we're at it, let's get down to the here and now of it. China's great culture goes back further than any other in human history ... THAT no one dare deny. Yet, at this point in its illustrious development, it has wisely discovered the obvious advantages of maintaining close contact with other cultures, rather than resisting same. English, now being regarded as THE universal means of communication, is a mandatory program aptly adopted by the government of the PRC. BUT REMEMBER: English IS an alien tongue, and with it come the cultural traditions, idiosyncracies, psychological restrictions, and personal inhibitions of its invited instructional
"deliverers" (no religious pun intended). Sensibly speaking, this would signal for the setup of an elaborate psychological counseling center for those whom you have ofttimes unfairly tagged as "whiners" or "Jesus freaks" (or just plain "freaks"!). But, since nothing like that appears to be in the wind, then why not attempt to train a few select Chinese university psychology majors, preferably those familiar with Westerners, to delve into the problems confronting the guests of the educational system of the PRC? After all, once you have succeeded in "separating the men from the boys" (teaching wise, that is), you don't want to run the risk of losing those individuals' talent and potential contribution to the English learning program.

You see, we don't have continue this ridiculous war of accusation. Rather, let's resolve to heretofore make our academic union one of a personal nature. This does NOT indicate the necessity of adopting each other's beliefs -- be they personal, religious, political, or WHATEVER -- but, rather, an honest attempt to look upon ourselves as the proud ambassadors of our respective cultures, taking a FAIR and CONSIDERATE posture in the development of that relationship through the universal tool of English.

Love to all,
Ellis

· Previous · Next Return to Index › C'mon, guys ... it's time to draw the line between fact and fantasy !

Go to another board -