TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Nigerian teachers
dee - 2004-08-13
In response to Nigerian teachers (Ellyne)

It isn't too good to be true...getting an ESL job. Its easy & there are tons of jobs in China now. You can use any of the many ESL websites to look ofr your own job. Some that i have used are: teachinternational.com
eslcareer.com
eslschoolsworldwide.com

If it were me I would be careful with recruiters. Some of the Chinese based businesses are just that...a business, to make money more importantly then anything else. If you could find a foreign teacher that is doing recruiting, maybe they'de be safer to go with. I have friends that have had only bad experiences with recruiters placing them in conditions they had no idea about.

From the school's point of view, they tell the schools almost nothing about the teacher until the school signs the contract. They are trying to protect themselves, but it's not a reasonable solution for schools like mine in finding teachers. If you do it yourself you can go with your gut feelings on the schools.

About your nationality, to be honest, most schools in China prefer people who do "look the part" for their ideas of a foreigner. I don't agree, personally, or think its right, but its a cultural thing that i don't think will change in the near future.

It is not impossible for someone from a country other then Canada, US, Austrailia, NewZealand, UK, but it will definately be harder for you.

My advice: If teaching is something you really want to do, then do it. You will find a job eventually, prove to them that you are an excellent teacher, then your nationality will no longer be a concern.

Good Luck

> I'm Nigerian and thinking about going into TESOL. I was just
> wondering whether it's difficult to get a job since I'm not a Native
> English citizen.

> English is my maternal language. I've since learned others, but that
> was the one I grew up speaking. I've completed my education in
> several "native english" countries. I'm also currently in
> Canada.

> I know the first thing I have to do is get certified, but is there a
> company that will actually help find me a job or do I have to go it
> alone?

> Does the saying if it sounds too good to be true also hold for
> teaching positions? Which countries should I look at? Also any other
> advice and words of wisdom you can give me would be great.

> Thank you

Messages In This Thread
Nigerian teachers -- Ellyne -- 2004-08-11
Try Latin America -- Mike B -- 2004-08-13
Re: Nigerian teachers -- dee -- 2004-08-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Nigerian teachers

Go to another board -