TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Learning from our mistakes
Ellis E. Seamone - 2004-08-13
In response to Re: Learning from our mistakes (dee)

> They are not all crooks. Read contracts, re-read emails, reply often,
> ask lots of questions, & finally trust your gut and go with the school
> that answers all your questions.

==============================================

Dear Dee,

What you say about playboys and playgirls in the guise of "teachers" is, unfortunately, quite true. But, I'm certain you would also agree that the majority of individuals venturing to the PRC are qualified, sincere, and anxious to get started in an exciting new career phase. Of course, it is the few insincere individuals who make it most difficult for any educator to be wholly accepted by an equally professional employer ... at least, at first. It is usually in the beginning stages of one's stay in the PRC that most of the more serious problems arise, but the average employer probably doesn't want to hear of such difficulties -- not while his "imported
expert" is on trial. Result: too many complaints in the initial stages of the contract brands the instructor as a "whiner." #@&! That's a battle the teacher is not likely to win. Therefore, the choice is to either stick it out or abandon the contract and attempt to return home ... provided, of course, he/she had the good sense to purchase a round-trip ticket before leaving. CRIMINY, Folks! We're reading about this business much too often to serve The PRC's national English learning program any REAL credibility. OF COURSE, there are the honorable schools and agencies, but, despite all the research and telephone calls, THEY'RE IN CHINA and THE TEACHERS ARE WHERE THEY ARE! In MY own case last year, I can well recall having received almost constant mail and several telephone calls -- even one that cost ME $93 -- of corroboration from my "employer-to-be," only to discover (a) I was stranded at the Hong Kong Airport and (b) eventually forced to find my own way to Schenzhen (including a taxi once I got there) ... all at MY OWN expense. That was only the BEGINNING. I won't go into any more of the gory details, but I assure you that, at age 66, with a splendid
13-year international record in ESL, I had NEVER before suffered anywhere near the remorse and economic loss I was forced to endure due to an employment-motivated decision. Had I done all the RIGHT things in preparation for that position? YES. Had I been treated as a professional? You ALREADY know the answer to that one.

As for "trusting your gut" when it comes to choosing an ESL employer in the PRC ... hmmm ... that's a tough one. BUT, WAIT! I've got it! How asinine I was not to have seen it! (1) You select the schools who present the best offers and conditions; (2) You prepare a generalized 2 to 3-page detailed questionnaire for them to fill out and return; and (3) At the end of such questionnaire you write, in BOLD print mind you ...
"WILL THE REAL CROOKS PLEASE STEP FORWARD AND IDENTIFY YOURSELVES?"

(Oy vay!)

Good luck.
Ellis

Messages In This Thread
Summer can seem like slavery -- OurManInHubei -- 2004-08-06
Contracts. -- DoS -- 2004-08-08
Learning from our mistakes -- Mike B -- 2004-08-06
Re: Learning from our mistakes -- dee -- 2004-08-13
Re: Learning from our mistakes -- Ellis E. Seamone -- 2004-08-13
Re: Learning from our mistakes -- dee -- 2004-08-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Learning from our mistakes