TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: something more to add re working in China to become rich and have slaves
#1 Parent OurManInHubei - 2004-08-14
Re: something more to add re working in China to become rich and have slaves

> It is the schools who 'puff up' the egos of some
> foreign teachers with over the top titles and positions to win over
> the Chinese customer who make up a very profitable education market.

I can agree with that. In the city where I work, there is some private college which offers business English programs to corporate clients. I was headhunted by this college to teach full-time (but I teach at another place on a full-time basis and still have six months remaining on my current contract). I could not help but smirk when told that foreign teachers employed there are accorded the high and mighty title of "Associate Professor".

I can imagine someone who is, say, 21-22 years of age, coming to a foreign country armed with, say, an associate of arts degree after just two years of full-time study (perhaps because the Chinese don't know the difference between this and a bachelor's degree - for them, the word, "degree", is enough) and being elevated to what appears to be a prestigious university rank. Why bother becoming a lecturer at a university and waiting for many years to achieve this title when one can "instantly" become one at a place like this?

Return to Index › Re: something more to add re working in China to become rich and have slaves

Go to another board -