TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › High school in Japan
#1 Parent Miss Tick - 2004-09-07
Re: Re: Khor tot na krap!

Dear Mr de Plume,

Please, I beg of you to allow an old fuddy-duddy a little latitude and accept my sincere apologies for my confusion with regard to your name. Im sure its these old spectacles of minethings do seem to loom at me from the most distressing of angles on occasion

well, there you go! Thai! Imagine that, and here was me again being completely bewildered and mistaken as usual! You really must forgive meI had been labouring under the unforgivable misapprehension that Thai was one of those quaint squiggly looking languagesnever too old to learn as my darling second cousin Hermione always said until that unfortunate incident before afternoon tea at the Siberian tiger enclosure during the Scone Womens Bowling Clubs annual outing to Taronga park zoo back in 1973, bless her albeit bloody cotton socksbut here I go again boring everybody with my silly reminiscencesI really dont know why you bother putting up with mebut, yes - now that you mention it - Ive always wanted to travel to Thaiwan; it seems like such an interesting place, and it is such a relief to know that they at least use the same letters as we do - even if they dont put them in quite the same order! unfortunately i'm fairly sure that if I ever do get there, there's a fair chance that i wont have enough time to establish the veracity of the statistics you quote however Im sure wed have no reason to doubt the integrity of the sources of such an erudite and insightful young man as yourself now would we?

Ingenuously yours,

Miss Tick

Post Script. I almost forgot - why yes, I am familiar with the term verbose do you require an explanation in this regard? I have always found Mr Oxfords dictionaries to be a marvellous source of reference - you have heard of them perchance?

#2 Parent Laowai In China - 2004-09-07
Re: Re: Khor tot na krap!

Miss Tick

> Dear Mr Tautology,

Why did you address me by an alternate 'nom de plume'? Do you feel that my chosen pen name is improper? Do you feel that that I am unworthy of chosing my own pen name?

> what button do i press so that i can turn it into real language

I believe that 67 million Thais consider their language to be real.

> what a marvel to be young

To whom are you referring?

Finally, are you familiar with the word 'verbose'?

Regards

Laowai In China

#3 Parent DOS - 2004-09-05
It's Thai.

Pom Kao Jai nit noi.

> Dear Mr Tautology,

> my goodness but aren't you the clever one! is that - and pardon my
> age and ignorance if this is the incorrect terminology - some sort of
> "computer encryption program" you are using there? and if
> so what button do i press so that i can turn it into real language on
> my computer? what a marvel to be young in such technologically
> fascinating times!

> in appreciation,

> Miss Tick.

> ps. oh, and while i think of it - my apologies kind Sir, for i am
> guilty of a highly embarrassing and thoroughly censurable omission
> with regard to an explanation as to the placement of my previous
> response. i thought, - and you must excuse an old fuddy-duddy like
> myself - i thought it would be pertinent to place my concerns
> regarding your oversight in a prominent position on the board, given
> what i felt was the urgency of the situation...it would be a tragedy
> if any of our esteemed readers were to misconstrue your rendering of
> that kindly though misguided assistance with regard to the double
> negative as tainted by even a smidgin of the most well-intentioned
> vindictive hypocrisy. now who said "towards success doth each
> failure one step make"?...i can't for the life of me recall! our
> glorious Victoria Regina perhaps? oh memory! the faculty that suffers
> first the bane of passing years...but i do ramble so...regardless
> Sir, we do take heart with you in the realisation that the goal
> towards which you so diligently strive undoubtedly now lies more in
> the vicinity of the proximate. Tick.

#4 Parent Miss Tick - 2004-09-05
Re: Khor tot na krap!

Dear Mr Tautology,

my goodness but aren't you the clever one! is that - and pardon my age and ignorance if this is the incorrect terminology - some sort of "computer encryption program" you are using there? and if so what button do i press so that i can turn it into real language on my computer? what a marvel to be young in such technologically fascinating times!

in appreciation,

Miss Tick.

ps. oh, and while i think of it - my apologies kind Sir, for i am guilty of a highly embarrassing and thoroughly censurable omission with regard to an explanation as to the placement of my previous response. i thought, - and you must excuse an old fuddy-duddy like myself - i thought it would be pertinent to place my concerns regarding your oversight in a prominent position on the board, given what i felt was the urgency of the situation...it would be a tragedy if any of our esteemed readers were to misconstrue your rendering of that kindly though misguided assistance with regard to the double negative as tainted by even a smidgin of the most well-intentioned vindictive hypocrisy. now who said "towards success doth each failure one step make"?...i can't for the life of me recall! our glorious Victoria Regina perhaps? oh memory! the faculty that suffers first the bane of passing years...but i do ramble so...regardless Sir, we do take heart with you in the realisation that the goal towards which you so diligently strive undoubtedly now lies more in the vicinity of the proximate. Tick.

#5 Parent DOS - 2004-09-04
Re: Please.

Ms Tick,

You are ony half correct about 'Lao wai'. It certainly doesn't mean 'white skinned'. It simply means 'out person' (or just 'foreigner'.)

I don't quite understand your problem with 'Lao wai in China' as a name, as it is infact a perfectly good name. Very acurate I would really.

DoS

> Dear Laowai in China,

> For the information of the uninitiated, and for those currently
> resident in houses constructed entirely of a brittle, transparent
> substance formed by the melting of silica, "laowai" is a
> term taken from Mandarin Chinese, which more or less means
> "white-skinned foreigner".

> Now the only way you can be "laowai" is to be a
> white-skinned foreigner and in China...if, say, you were to travel to
> Thailand, you would transmogrify immediately into a
> "farang", and would, by way of example, find that you would
> have further metamorphosed into a "bule" were you to travel
> onward to indonesia... and all this without having made mention of
> the "guei-lo" monstrosity you become in more southern
> climes of the fair country originally mentioned, nor of the labels
> applied to distinguish such people by natives of countries to its
> immediate east.

> Laowai in China, we are inconsolably appalled at the absurdity of
> your "handle"; surely the grammatical crime of tautology
> far outranks the mere misdemeanour of, say, a double negative, which
> is quite common a linguistic device and an accepted means of
> expression throughout many of the languages to be found on this fair
> planet.

> we would be pleased if you would rectify this oversight immediately
> and so spare us all from further pain. suggested emendations would be
> "laowai" or "white-skinned person in China".
> obviously you cannot expect to get all the respect you no doubt
> deserve when you refer to yourself as "white-skinned person in
> China in China".

> your partner in pedantry,

> Miss Tick

#6 Parent Toad in the hole - 2004-09-04
Re: High school in Japan

If you are teaching with English as poor as this then I despair. Your English is not at a level where you should be anywhere near a classroom. Who is your employer? I wish to report them and have them closed down.

> HEllo!
> I am teaching English listening and speaking at a junior senior high
> school and I am having trouble Making lesson plans and choosing
> material. I beleive that these kids need to speek as much as possible
> therefor my lessons lack structure and sometimes material. I think
> that I am a really good teacher in that I can make the class
> comfortable, fun and easily understandable but I am just not sure how
> to structure my lessons so that students have full advantage to
> listen and speek English. For Junior high school also, I have no
> outline and have been teaching week by week. When you only have
> 65mins a week it is really hard to choose what is best for them to
> learn. This is my problem. If you have any advice on what I have
> wrote, program/lesson planning I would greatly appreciate it.

> Thank you for your time,

> Jaime

#7 Parent Laowai In China - 2004-09-03
Khor tot na krap!

Khun Tick na krap

Tum mai khun kian kum torp tee nee, na krap?

Phom kian gio gup "double negative" tee 'Need a job, cant afford flight ..help", mai chai tee nee krap.

Khorp khun krap.

#8 Parent Miss Tick - 2004-09-03
Please.

Dear Laowai in China,

For the information of the uninitiated, and for those currently resident in houses constructed entirely of a brittle, transparent substance formed by the melting of silica, "laowai" is a term taken from Mandarin Chinese, which more or less means "white-skinned foreigner".

Now the only way you can be "laowai" is to be a white-skinned foreigner and in China...if, say, you were to travel to Thailand, you would transmogrify immediately into a "farang", and would, by way of example, find that you would have further metamorphosed into a "bule" were you to travel onward to indonesia... and all this without having made mention of the "guei-lo" monstrosity you become in more southern climes of the fair country originally mentioned, nor of the labels applied to distinguish such people by natives of countries to its immediate east.

Laowai in China, we are inconsolably appalled at the absurdity of your "handle"; surely the grammatical crime of tautology far outranks the mere misdemeanour of, say, a double negative, which is quite common a linguistic device and an accepted means of expression throughout many of the languages to be found on this fair planet.

we would be pleased if you would rectify this oversight immediately and so spare us all from further pain. suggested emendations would be "laowai" or "white-skinned person in China". obviously you cannot expect to get all the respect you no doubt deserve when you refer to yourself as "white-skinned person in China in China".

your partner in pedantry,

Miss Tick

#9 Parent Laowai In China - 2004-09-03
Re: High school in Japan

Jaime

Seriously, your question is far too broad.

Have you done a TEFL / TESOL course?

Are you a native English speaker? French-Canadian by any chance?

Anyway, there are so many teaching aids and materials on the internet, including lesson plans, that the real solution for you is to help yourself.

Jaime - 2004-09-03
High school in Japan

HEllo!
I am teaching English listening and speaking at a junior senior high school and I am having trouble Making lesson plans and choosing material. I beleive that these kids need to speek as much as possible therefor my lessons lack structure and sometimes material. I think that I am a really good teacher in that I can make the class comfortable, fun and easily understandable but I am just not sure how to structure my lessons so that students have full advantage to listen and speek English. For Junior high school also, I have no outline and have been teaching week by week. When you only have 65mins a week it is really hard to choose what is best for them to learn. This is my problem. If you have any advice on what I have wrote, program/lesson planning I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your time,

Jaime

Return to Index › High school in Japan

Go to another board -