TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Freedom of Speech
#1 Parent pusanteacher - 2004-09-23
Re: Alien vs. Predator

> Mr. Arrogant,

> Here is a short review of this great movie: During an archaeological
> expedition in Antartica, a team of archaeologists and other
> scientists find themselves caught up in a battle between the two
> legends. Soon, the team realise that only one species can win.

> Incheon
> PS: popcorn, large coke, special sounds ...... Woo-hoo!

Well, I'm going to watch the movie. Anyone else?

#2 Parent Miss Tick - 2004-09-20

Dear Ms Incheon,

I feel compelled - for the sake of the sanity of all who read this board, and in fact for sake of the future of the human race in general -to express my dismay and alarm at the serious malapropism that appears in your rather interesting if not wholly relevant post. If we were to allow you to use with abandon the phrase "a short review" to describe what is quite clearly "a summary" or "a precis", then we would be opening a veritable Pandora's Box, and the ensuing wailing of women and the casting of selves to ground would be sounds and sights of a gravity much too extreme for this old fuddy-duddy to bear.

For example if my youngish nephew Norman were to go the store and ask for a packet of tampons, having decided - as a protest against what he perceives as the apparent arbitrariness of the relationship that exists between the linguistic labels that are applied to concepts and the concepts themselves - that he would henceforth use the word "tampons" when referring to those cylindrical paper tubes of paper filled with tobacco that form the mainstay of many of the world's great economies,he might thereupon subject himself to the possibility of disappointment or even danger if he were to attempt to use the purchased product in the manner intended for the product that he was actually desirous to procure.

However, this is, perhaps, not a good example, because I have heard tell that youngish Norman, the darling that he is, "would smoke the wire from a retread", (whatever that means)...but I think you know what I centipede,

yours cinematically,

Miss Tick.

#3 Parent Hyades - 2004-09-20
Re: Freedom of Speech

Freedom of speech. Blah. What a crock of liberal-bourgeois bulls*it. Until liberalized democratic types are prepared to give freedom of speech to terrorists and paedophiles they should all shut up and stop whining about their precious rights to free speech. Bit of suppression and persecution never hurt anyone I reckon.

> My university level students are discussing the future of China
> during the next 20 years. The topics that we will cover in the next
> six weeks are
> 1. Business and Economy
> 2. Social Changes
> 3. Environment problems
> 4. World Leadership position of China
> 5. Political and social freedom in this country
> Many students believe that westen countries such as USA and Australia
> are "free", people have the right to freedom of speech....
> Maybe some of you also visit "## ESL Forums". If so, you
> will find that freedom of speech is NOT available or that forum even
> if you follow the posted guidelines. Freedom of speech in the USA is
> a myth! The powers that be can shut you up if they so choose. Be
> aware of this and tell your students the truth about your home
> country.
> Comments welcome.

#4 Parent The Arrogant One - 2004-09-20

> Mr. Arrogant,

> Here is a short review of this great movie: During an archaeological
> expedition in Antartica, a team of archaeologists and other
> scientists find themselves caught up in a battle between the two
> legends. Soon, the team realise that only one species can win.

> Incheon
> PS: popcorn, large coke, special sounds ...... Woo-hoo!

=================================================

GOLLY! WOW! GEE WHIZ! Mr. INCH-ON, you take the bloody biscuit! Now I'm totally convinced you have a 12-year-older's fascination with the cinema, particularly those fairy tales la Schwarzenegger! If my memory serves me correctly, the pattern of such a spectacular dictates that, albeit one species does triumph over the other, there is one hell of a fight prior to such a costly victory. I cannot accurately predict which side would win the conflict to which YOU allude, but I can promise you a confrontation which, in the final analysis, will make the entire business lose purpose and the continued support of even the mindless, robotic warriors you favor. Now back to your film, son ... and don't forget your chores when you get back home.

With love,
The Arrogant One

#5 Parent Incheon - 2004-09-20
Alien vs. Predator

> ================================

> Commissar XI ...

> REALLY now, must you resort to insulting EVERY foreign teacher with
> whom you disagree, especially those who approach you in a friendly
> manner? TRY ME, you smug, brainwashed A*SH**E! I truly believe in
> freedom of speech when it comes to dealing with your sort.

> The Arrogant One

Mr. Arrogant,

Here is a short review of this great movie: During an archaeological expedition in Antartica, a team of archaeologists and other scientists find themselves caught up in a battle between the two legends. Soon, the team realise that only one species can win.

Incheon
PS: popcorn, large coke, special sounds ...... Woo-hoo!

#6 Parent Laowai - 2004-09-19
Re: Freedom is in the eye of the beholder.

> I like how you pretend to know China. I also find it funny how you
> are so... that you actually think that your way of thinking make any
> sense. I have a question for you...does being that ## hurt?

> XI

XI: Are you perhaps a Chinese teacher of English?

#7 Parent Dolly Drummond - 2004-09-19
Re: Freedom is in the eye of the beholder.

I like how you pretend to know China. I also find it funny how you

> XI

Excuse me? What are you talking about? I hardly even mentioned China in my post. I suggest that you might take a little more time to make sense of the posts on this forum before you comment; you demonstrate by your rejoinders that you understand next to nothing of the meanings that they contain.

Even though anyone who could read and understand what I wrote would be able to see that nowhere did I make the claim that "I...know (sic) China" (i think I know what you mean), I do feel quite confident that I am correct when I make the claim that I would know more about China than what you would know about anywhere else in this world, and I can also assure you that my Chinese is far beyond what would be considered the "elementary stage" , which is somewhat above the level at which your English seems to be currently languishing. Even so, I don't feel an irresistible compulsion to berate Chinese people for the views that they have a perfect right to hold. Honestly, you seem to be at the mercy of some racially-based abuse reflex.

I must say though Xi, I really do appreciate your input, because every circus needs a clown, and guess what: in this one, YOU'RE IT!

Find someone to explain that to you.

#8 Parent The Arrogant One - 2004-09-19
Re: Freedom is in the eye of ONLY Xi!

> I like how you pretend to know China. I also find it funny how you

> XI

================================

Commissar XI ...

REALLY now, must you resort to insulting EVERY foreign teacher with whom you disagree, especially those who approach you in a friendly manner? TRY ME, you smug, brainwashed A*SH**E! I truly believe in freedom of speech when it comes to dealing with your sort.

The Arrogant One

#9 Parent AF - 2004-09-18

> My university level students are discussing the future of China
> during the next 20 years. The topics that we will cover in the next
> six weeks are
> 1. Business and Economy
> 2. Social Changes
> 3. Environment problems
> 4. World Leadership position of China
> 5. Political and social freedom in this country
> a myth! The powers that be can shut you up if they so choose. Be
> aware of this and tell your students the truth about your home
> country.
> Comments welcome.

Hello there,
Private businesses are not democracies, inclu. websites, companies, etc...
I don't quite understand why you are so upset about the fact that websites are run that way... Like any other business/hobby. This is not an attempt to stop "Freedom Of Speech", but if you do not like it, do not go to that website (That is your democratic right).
Privatization: "Genius of capitalism"
AF

#10 Parent xi - 2004-09-18
Freedom is in the eye of the beholder.

I like how you pretend to know China. I also find it funny how you are so... that you actually think that your way of thinking make any sense. I have a question for you...does being that ## hurt?

XI

> If you mean that it's your Chinese students who believe that there is
> freedom of speech in the countries you mention, well we can rest
> assured that they are not alone in their delusions. There is no
> shortage of people in my country (one of the above) whose social
> opinions are nothing but the vacuous parrotings of those concocted
> for them and spoon-fed to them by the "friendly" faces of
> morally and intellectually bankrupt, highly politicised media
> enterprises, and who promulgate these farcical conceits either by
> legal or social castigation of those who have the insight and the
> courage or foolhardiness to protest. You only have to duck over to
> the sorts of forums you mention to find yourself very quickly
> subjected to the inane and highly predictable ravings of these clowns
> who find eternal solace in their absurd mediaeval witch hunts. The
> political and social factors that allegedly operate to suppress
> "freedom of speech" in China, are in essence little
> different to those that operate to suppress it in the countries you
> mention. Moreover, it could be strongly argued that "freedom of
> speech" is in fact a state incongruous with human society and
> the human condition.

#11 Parent Laowai In China - 2004-09-18

> a myth! The powers that be can shut you up if they so choose.
> Comments welcome.

In Australia, and I suspect the U.S.A. is the same, you can go to any PUBLIC place, a park, on the sidewalk, wherever, and say whatever you like, provided you don't breach anti-racism legislation.

In Australia, and I suspect the U.S.A. is the same, if you go to any PRIVATE place, someone's home, an office, wherever, the owner and/or occupier of that place can refuse you entry and/or eject you if he/she doesn't like what you say.

Take a moment to think about it. How long would you allow me to remain in your home if I started a long spiel about how butt-ugly your mother and sisters are, even if you knew in your heart that it was true?

On a privately operated internet forum the operator can modify, edit and delete whichever posts he/she chooses. This has nothing whatsoever to do with 'free speech'.

#12 Parent Dolly Drummond - 2004-09-17

If you mean that it's your Chinese students who believe that there is freedom of speech in the countries you mention, well we can rest assured that they are not alone in their delusions. There is no shortage of people in my country (one of the above) whose social opinions are nothing but the vacuous parrotings of those concocted for them and spoon-fed to them by the "friendly" faces of morally and intellectually bankrupt, highly politicised media enterprises, and who promulgate these farcical conceits either by legal or social castigation of those who have the insight and the courage or foolhardiness to protest. You only have to duck over to the sorts of forums you mention to find yourself very quickly subjected to the inane and highly predictable ravings of these clowns who find eternal solace in their absurd mediaeval witch hunts. The political and social factors that allegedly operate to suppress "freedom of speech" in China, are in essence little different to those that operate to suppress it in the countries you mention. Moreover, it could be strongly argued that "freedom of speech" is in fact a state incongruous with human society and the human condition.

Dimwit - 2004-09-17
Freedom of Speech

My university level students are discussing the future of China during the next 20 years. The topics that we will cover in the next six weeks are
1. Business and Economy
2. Social Changes
3. Environment problems
4. World Leadership position of China
5. Political and social freedom in this country
Many students believe that westen countries such as USA and Australia are "free", people have the right to freedom of speech....
Maybe some of you also visit "## ESL Forums". If so, you will find that freedom of speech is NOT available or that forum even if you follow the posted guidelines. Freedom of speech in the USA is a myth! The powers that be can shut you up if they so choose. Be aware of this and tell your students the truth about your home country.
Comments welcome.

Return to Index › Freedom of Speech

Go to another board -