> currently seeking employment in San Francisco. Last semester I was a
> student teacher who worked closely with an experienced Master teacher
> in an ESL writing and grammar class, however I haven't had a class of
> my own yet. I have already turned down two very short term jobs
> because my FEAR of teaching has overtaken me. I know once I start and
> gain experience, my fear will diminish. I was wondering if any of you
> have had experience with this situation. I welcome your feedback
> about how to overcome fear, how to approach the job market, and
> anything else you would like to share relating to this matter.

> Thank you!

Don't be afraid! I am now in China, teaching, after I overcame my fear and am so happy I've done it. I am treated so well, am really respected and the students want to learn. Trust me, the students love to see a foreign face and if you prepare your lesson well you're more than halfway there. Apply to as many jobs as possible and don't give up.

#2 Parent me - 2004-09-28

> Hi-I just graduated from my Masters program in TESOL and I am
> currently seeking employment in San Francisco. Last semester I was a
> student teacher who worked closely with an experienced Master teacher
> in an ESL writing and grammar class, however I haven't had a class of
> my own yet. I have already turned down two very short term jobs
> because my FEAR of teaching has overtaken me. I know once I start and
> gain experience, my fear will diminish. I was wondering if any of you
> have had experience with this situation. I welcome your feedback
> about how to overcome fear, how to approach the job market, and
> anything else you would like to share relating to this matter.

> Thank you!

I have been teaching 27 years and the minute the fear completely goes away I will quit. But I am using fear in the sense of being nervous and the only way to get over it is to jump in and do it - those short-term experiences I think would have been an excellent way to do iy - take a teaching job SOMEWHERE and good luck to you!

#3 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-09-27
Re: Overcoming Fear

Well, for starters, the fear of unemployment should supersede the fear of teaching students ;-))

One nice thing about short-term jobs is that you can just get your feet wet and not worry about a long commitment. Thats what I did. I taught at a summer school for Korean kids. I was very scared at first about how I would be able to handle kids. But, I took the challenge a lot easier knowing that I could do a few months even if I hated it.

As it turns out, I love kids, even if they slug me and put me into head-locks. Indeed, theyre much more fun than the brain-dead housewives Im condemned to teach. So, try a small gig and see how you like it. I wouldnt suggest going 3,000 miles away on some sight-unseen job in a foreign country. You have a better opportunity to try your new found career closer to home.

Good Luck!!!!

Spirited13 - 2004-09-27
Overcoming Fear

Hi-I just graduated from my Masters program in TESOL and I am currently seeking employment in San Francisco. Last semester I was a student teacher who worked closely with an experienced Master teacher in an ESL writing and grammar class, however I haven't had a class of my own yet. I have already turned down two very short term jobs because my FEAR of teaching has overtaken me. I know once I start and gain experience, my fear will diminish. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this situation. I welcome your feedback about how to overcome fear, how to approach the job market, and anything else you would like to share relating to this matter.

Thank you!

Return to Index › Overcoming Fear

Go to another board -