TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Need Shelter from the Storm in Shanghai
#1 Parent Bavarian biers - 2011-04-14
Re Non-native Speakers

I blame the evil cold lager

Because real ale costs more in China, perchance?!

#2 Parent Apollyon - 2011-04-13
Re Non-native Speakers

There's a New Broom at my university in Shanghai, and a lot of dust
> is being swept into the eyes of the few remaining
> native-English-speaking foreign experts. (The school now has a
> penchant for hiring NON-native-speakers to teach--or, rather, attempt
> to teach--oral English.)

Well, I'm not surprised at all. Credits to your University for being an equal opportunity employer.

By the way,
What's wrong with non-native speakers teaching oral. Are you saying that non-native speakers can't speak English at all?

Hell, I've seen lots of non-natives speakers teaching and most of them are really good if not better than some white guys.

Well, I'm up for my usual hour at 4 in the morning to find myself lost-I blame the evil cold lager i had the night before, on account of my running out of real-ale.

I was trying to find posts on EF Changchun 2011 the ongoing saga (did briefly stumble on a 2009 episode where of course they were just as bad) However, this is interesting "native speaker" is still very much alive today, seven years on, but we are still having this debate years later about native versus non-native teachers.

Is it just me or is it more difficult to find things on this site?

#3 Parent Native Teacher - 2004-10-03
You may be right

impenetrable accents?????

What about native speakers or so-call white teachers? I've worked with people from Newcastle Texas , Scotland, Germany and their accents are impenetrable at times . Isn't it good for students to understand they way others speak English and not from just one particular country?

There's plenty out there in Shanghai for everyone and I'm sure you will find another good job. Good Luck.

#4 Parent Laowai - 2004-10-03
What's wrong, you ask?

> Well, I'm not surprised at all. Credits to your University for being
> an equal opportunity employer.

> By the way,
> What's wrong with non-native speakers teaching oral. Are you saying
> that non-native speakers can't speak English at all?

> Hell, I've seen lots of non-natives speakers teaching and most of
> them are really good if not better than some white guys.

When they have impenetrable accents, there's plenty wrong.

#5 Parent Native Teacher - 2004-10-03
Non-native Speakers

> There's a New Broom at my university in Shanghai, and a lot of dust
> is being swept into the eyes of the few remaining
> native-English-speaking foreign experts. (The school now has a
> penchant for hiring NON-native-speakers to teach--or, rather, attempt
> to teach--oral English.)

Well, I'm not surprised at all. Credits to your University for being an equal opportunity employer.

By the way,
What's wrong with non-native speakers teaching oral. Are you saying that non-native speakers can't speak English at all?

Hell, I've seen lots of non-natives speakers teaching and most of them are really good if not better than some white guys.

Laowai - 2004-10-03
Need Shelter from the Storm in Shanghai

There's a New Broom at my university in Shanghai, and a lot of dust is being swept into the eyes of the few remaining native-English-speaking foreign experts. (The school now has a penchant for hiring NON-native-speakers to teach--or, rather, attempt to teach--oral English.)

I think I can be released from my contract . . . but where to go at this point in the academic year? I'm only interested in a job in Shanghai that is authorized to get me a new stamp in my green book--a "training center" job would only add to my woes at this point. I want to stay legal.

I'm one of those relatively rare birds who actually has a teaching degree among other academic achievements. I'm culturally sensitive and students like me. But here's the rub: I'm 68---a healthy and vigorous 68, but 68 nonetheless.

Any leads? All suggestions will be acknowledged if you will be kind enough to let me have your e-mail address.

Return to Index › Need Shelter from the Storm in Shanghai

Go to another board -