TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching in China
#1 Parent Jaycee - 2005-01-02
Yakup-NO 1 liar!

Some monts ago I sent an application to Yakup(Dr. Yakup! ; He is neither a medical doctor nor a PhD holder. But just for fun he call himself a "Dr". Hehehe! I got a prompt reply. He asked me to meet him immediately. I went to his office in Beijing. He told me "There is a very nice job for you...Recruitment officer in my Office. You can earn 10000yuan every month". I thought it was a nice idea to be with him. He promised many things. He put me in a nice apartment. I started working for him, day and night!. My job was to find Teachers. With in one month I found some teachers. Bu he never paid me anything. He behaved very badly. I left him. later I came to know that he is not a normal person. Yes, He is "Dr". Dr Abnormal.

#2 Parent VIK - 2004-10-03
CHEATS-YAKUP INTERNATIONAL - YAKUP

I think u all r right and let me have the priviledge to tell u how he cheated me, as I am not a native speaker, he called me and offered a job with an accomodation, after 10 days of work when he saw i have posted almost 150 advertisements for the teachers, he asked me that there are no results coming and in i need to leave. I was forced to leave the accomodation immediately without any money paid to me for 10 days and suffered a lot of humiliation from him, I have my suggestion if all of us go together and just post this message to everyone we know, he will be well rewarded for his cheatings. Another thing he advertised in my name VIKRAM also, please over look that, dont go to this CHEAT or SO CALLED DOCTOR YAKUP, let us teach him a lesson

> Yes Tony, all this sounds like the experience I had at a private
> senior middle school at Cixi in China which I posted last March. I
> think that post is still at the foot of the postings here. I have
> travelled around quite a bit and did go with my eyes wide open when I
> went to China. I agree that the school uses a white face as an
> advertising tool. The teacher who replaced me left after less time
> than I had stayed for and for mostly the same reasons that I left
> there. I found that the management have no problem at all with
> looking you right in the eye and lying to you outright. I found that
> to be very disturbing being a person who always tells it like it is.
> This dishonesty was difficult to deal with. If other private
> residential senior middle schools are like this one then I would
> agree with you that they should be avoided. I am now back teaching in
> Korea again and find the situation far better than it was in China. I
> do not get stared at all the time here and do not have a crowd of the
> local natives gather around me when I go shopping here like I did
> when shopping in China.

#3 Parent Mike - 2004-06-13
Re: Teaching in China

Yes Tony, all this sounds like the experience I had at a private senior middle school at Cixi in China which I posted last March. I think that post is still at the foot of the postings here. I have travelled around quite a bit and did go with my eyes wide open when I went to China. I agree that the school uses a white face as an advertising tool. The teacher who replaced me left after less time than I had stayed for and for mostly the same reasons that I left there. I found that the management have no problem at all with looking you right in the eye and lying to you outright. I found that to be very disturbing being a person who always tells it like it is. This dishonesty was difficult to deal with. If other private residential senior middle schools are like this one then I would agree with you that they should be avoided. I am now back teaching in Korea again and find the situation far better than it was in China. I do not get stared at all the time here and do not have a crowd of the local natives gather around me when I go shopping here like I did when shopping in China.

Tony - 2004-06-12
Teaching in China

I have been teaching here in China for a couple of years now and have found the experience, both wonderful and totally frustrating. I have met amny other etachers who feel the same.

I will relate something to you all that appeared in the China Daily Newspaper over a year ago. It is an English newspaper that like all media is controlled buy the Central Govt.
It depicted a drunken derelict foreign teacher who was only in China as he/she could not get a decent job in their own country - that uis how many of us thought of here.

I consider myself lucky as next term I will be teaching in one of China's top universities and will be teaching other subjects that English.
My last two years have been spent at a "Private Middle School" - if you can stay away from Private Schools and Uni's - they are mostly a sham - you will only be there as part of their advertising to recruit students. If you think you will make a difference - you had better wake up and smell the coffee because at a private institution you will not.
They even accept/condone cheating in the exams, so that they can publish high pass results to attract more students.
Private schools tend to be dumping grounds for kids who fail in the public system and whose parents are rich and or do not want the kids about. I have confiscated knives off senior students and have been threatened, not that I really care, but many would.

I marketing material they had me advertised as the former Director of English at the University of Australia. Well for one I am not Austrlian, secondly, I have never been to a Uni in Australia, and thirdly there is no Uni of Australia - so go figure that one. The other teacher here at that time was advertsied as a famous American - the only truth there was that he was in fact an American !!!! The leaders of this school have never had any experience before in education - its not what you know its who you know. The principal at my current school is realated to the owner - her husband is the office manager and neither have had any experience in education before and it shows. Each year the role changes with up to 75% of the existing students being replaced by new students.

China is a wonderful place, after you accept the pollution and the chinese menatlity of lying, cheating and stealing - there are many wonderful places to see and experience, and not all Chinese are bad by all means, but upper management in any organsiation is bad - that's how they got there.

Just do not come here with your eyes closed - you need to be of strong mind, not an angry person, not a person who lets people walk over you as they will run rough shod all over you if you are.

Also a not of caution - beware of Yakup International - they are liars, they promise you everything and the schools and deliver nothing. The references they have on their web sites may not even be real. Some of their aparant staff are also non existant people.

Most people I have spoken to have had a good time here, but all have had a problem or three as well, so be aware and stay away from private institutions.

Don't come here with your eyes wide shut - especially you Americans

Return to Index › Teaching in China

Go to another board -