TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-07
In response to is it really worth it?? (superman)

Well, heres my take on ESL teaching: It really depends on what your goals are in life. Therere sort of three categories of teachers here: 1) The young ones that just want adventure and maybe get laid. 2) The ones that think this will be a life long career. 3) People, like me, that had few choices for respectable work in a economic downturn.

Heres the short and skinny and you can make up your own mind. There will be people who can only report good things and others, like me, that didnt really want to be an English teacher. It depends on your situation and the context of your life circumstances.

However, though I think that this is a great way to travel, make some friends and have some fun, this can NOT be a life long stable career. I will point out why but maybe thats not your goal anyway. First here is why Im beginning to actually like what Im doing IN THE SHORT RUN. I know I posted some negative stuff about ESL teaching. But, Im beginning to see where I fit in and how long I want to do this.

Teaching English offers a great, if not unprecedented, opportunity to get hands on teaching experience. It doesnt matter if you plan to teach science or music, there are things like managing a classroom that transcends all subject matter. Normally, you have to pay tuition at a teachers college to get this experience. Instead, you get paid.

Teaching English is a great way to have some cool experiences and meet some great people and maybe your partner in life.

Where else can you get the respect that your students give? McDonalds? I dont think so. This beats flipping burgers hands down, all jokes aside.

Now the things which is NOT so positive and rosy. First, you CAN'T get retirement from this job. No company will do that for you. There are some universities that may do this, if you have a masters degree and lucky enough to get a tenured position. But, the fact is that ALL the teachers Ive met have hopped from job to job. Maybe theyve saved something, but it wont be enough to retire on and probably not enough to raise some kids.

Second, there is an expiration date on a teacher's age based on the country. For example, in Japan, where I work, the age is about 30 to 35 years old. Sure, you can find work after that, but it gets REAL hard. Follow me? Ageism is rampant in other parts of the worldits not like North America.

Third, and I think this is also important, YOU ARE ALWAYS A FOREIGNER. Again, unlike North America, you probably will NEVER be considered one of the locals. For example, Im married to a Japanese. But, under Japanese law, Ill never be a citizen. The best I can be is a permanent resident. What that means is that, even IF you can speak the language fluently, you will NOT be able to advance to some high level. In fact, even owning a school of your own is against the odds. Many locals will refuse to have a foreigner own a business. Yes, there are some instances where the teacher can have some ownership, but its tenuous at best. There's no equal opportunity employement in most places. Not even in a first world country like Japan. Your a foreigner and that's it. Like it or live it.

The last point, unlike teaching at a pubic school back home, there's usually a cap on how much you'll make. First, a management position can go only so high before it gets into the territory of the owner or the local management. Usually, you can only make so much money no matter how much experience because of simple economics: the school can only afford to pay so much. You could become a teacher trainer but that also has a salary ceiling. Even my teacher, when I took my CELTA course, had been teaching for 15 years and was about to say the hell with it. She wanted to have a family and some financial security. This is not a profession where experience keeps paying more and more. Nope..forget about it.

So, in short, ESL teaching is great for a SHORT experience, but beware of making it a career.

Good luck!!!

Messages In This Thread
is it really worth it?? -- superman -- 2004-10-06
100 % -- Michael M. -- 2004-10-08
What I think -- SUPERMAN -- 2004-10-08
yes and no -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-07

Go to another board -