TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › The Affiliated High School of Peking
#1 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-11
Positive details please

Wow, thats bad. Im getting the impression that teaching in China is nothing more than being equal to a dog. I mean a dog in China that is, as dogs in other first-world countries have a pretty good life.

I believe that these negative postings are proof that people should NEVER take a job sight unseen as well as believe a recruiter or school. Likewise, you should always have enough money saved to bail the hell out of there.

I think that is just prudent judgment and Im actually shocked people are relying on airfare upfront and a return ticket. Even I went to Japan with $6,000 and spent half of it before I landed a gig. Of course, I made it back and then some pretty quickly. However, I had money saved and an emergency plan to bail at 3 months or $4,000, which ever came first.

Why do you teachers not have an exit strategy or go and look around first? Yes, you must have a couple thousand saved to do that, but for crying out loud, you are going to a foreign country and a communist one at that!!!

And finally, lets put some of the good schools on this board please. Also, please post some good experiences with China. When you do post anecdotal stuff, please be specific about how you handled problems and point out the good and the bad. That is, dont just say: I think China is great and I didnt have any problems. That isnt helpful. Please, people post things about what YOU DID to make it successful.

Cheers

Simon Johns - 2004-10-11
The Affiliated High School of Peking

Once more whilst readers and writers are focusing on the same thread like ie, bad recruiters.This experience with the aboved named school and it's native Chinese Englsh teacher acting as the school recruiter was an experience of a lifetime.The school located in a very isolated area in Henan province and it's address/advertisement does not match the school's conditions and real pay as such.The appartment was one of the worst I have ever experienced in China.No Heating,no tv just a bed and a spunk stained mattress.No telephone,no internet and the school has been listed both with the American and British embassy as a no-go school because of it's anti-western management style.like you are not allowed off-campus even on weekends.The local branch of the Foreign Affairs has dis-associated from the underarm and illegal practises of this school in it's recruitment messages (all false advertisements) It's treatment of Foreign teachers (one foreign female teacher had AIDS whilst employed there-The school put her on a plane to Hk and dunpedher there with no-where to go and no money,she later died there.This school has already been recognised as one of the worst in China.refer the above embassies and daveseslcafe.Simom Johns.UK

Return to Index › The Affiliated High School of Peking

Go to another board -