TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › HELP!
#1 Parent kate - 2004-10-12
Cruel genetics!

Thanks for that.
Why couldn't I have been born with blonde hair and blue eyes! That seems to be the only resume/teaching experience one needs in Asia!

#2 Parent kate - 2004-10-12
thanks

Thanks heaps. You have been very helpful and informative. Cheers.

#3 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-12
Dodgy I hear..

Well, about NOVA, I can only give you anecdotal information. A teacher I knew in Japan that worked for NOVA told me that, while paying more, NOVA actually paid less than the other schools. Apparently, the scam works like this: they pay you 170,000 per month but charge you above prices for accommodation in a flat with 3 other teachers. They deduct out about 70,000 yen, or about 10,000 more than accommodations at other schools. Then, they charge high fees for utilities and such. In the end you make less.

In Japan you MUST have a sponsor for a flat because the Japanese will not rent to a foreigner without a guarantor, if they even want to rent to a foreigner in the first place. I was turned down at two places because I was a foreigner and told that directly by the realtor. Those are the rules. Also, you must pay gift money, a realtors fee, a deposit and the first month's rent. So in total, about 3 thousand dollars up front. Thats also why you need a school to pay all that. So be careful on what the school charges you for rent. That could be the difference to a better paycheque at the end of the month.

I heard that not only did NOVA overcharge you on rent, but that they simply manage their teachers poorly. NOVA is like the McDonalds of English schools. There is one at every train station in Japanand there are too many train stations to count!!

I came over and looked for work by myself. I was lucky, but the age thing caused problems: I'm 39. Again, the further away from Tokyo, Osaka or some other megatropolis, the better are your chances. NOVA is pretty easy to land a job, I just didnt try them because all the teachers here have a running joke: if you cant find work, you can always work at NOVA. Sounds like McDs doesnt it?

Let me know if youd like more info.

Good Luck

#4 Parent Sanity - 2004-10-12
Should I go esl?

> Hi
> I am an Aussie high school teacher thinking about heading over to
> either China or Japan to teach. I have been offered several positions
> at universities in China offering around 4000/month and in Japan
> through NOVA agency. I read a lot of negative stuff on this forum and
> wondered whether I should head over or stay put in Brisbane? Is it
> worth it? Do you save any money? I am not a pretty blonde so will I
> be fired as soon as the see me? etc... Any advice would be much
> appreciated.

Hi,

You can get more than 4000 a month in China. Wait until they give you more. Men can get 8000 a month, and you are just as good as a man.
In fact, women are far superior than men when it comes to language.
So don't accept their bull##.
As far as looks, yes it seems to matter a lot in Korea and in Japan.
I think Japan will want to see your photos first, or even arrange a meeting. Stay put until you get what you want. There are plenty of vacancies, so don't jump at the first offer.

Best of British,
Sanity

#5 Parent kate - 2004-10-12
Why not NOVA?

Hey
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Just one more question: Why stay away from NOVA? Is it purely for the lower salary that you recommend I stay away from NOVA or are they dodgy?
Thanks

#6 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-11
Japan

Yes, you can find work in Japan. But, you probably have to look outside of a big city, like Tokyo. The smaller the town, the less competition; hence, the more they will waive the blond hair and under 34 requirements. I live one and a half hours from Tokyo. There is even a Philippine woman that teaches kids out here. But, again, look only outside of the big cities. The big metropolitan cities have more competition because all the foreigners want to live near each other and have easy access to booze and sex.

Second, save about $5,000 before coming to Japan. Youll need this to cover expenses until you find a job. You get only a 3 month tourist visa to find work. However, if you havent found work in 3 months, youd better bail out anyway.

Please, stay away from NOVA: AEON is better; however, you MUST interview in your home country. Almost all salaries are 250,000 to 260,000 per month, use www.xe.com to do the money conversion to your home currency. Income tax here is 10% and you get health care for about $20 per month.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. GOOD LUCK!

#7 Parent Dos - 2004-10-11
China

The first question is: 'Why do you want to come (here)?' Some people come for the money (but not many come to China for that. You can save here, but you are not going to save a fortune). Some come for the experience (and it *is* an experience) and others come thinking of it as a long holiday. If your thinking of it as the last one, then my recommendation is don't.
If you come here for the experience, and come with an open mind, then you will certainly experience things that you will remember for a looooong time to come!
Research your school as well as you can. Ask for the contact details of the foreign teachers already there and, even better, those recently left.
Make sure you have ALL the details up front and in writing. Keep printouts!
Make sure you have enough money to go elsewhere if it doesn't work out (worth having a job offer or two as backup places).
The question you need to ask of the school is: "Can you give me a Z-class visa?" If they can't, don't go there. Ask the other FTs if they have one.
There are lots of things to look out for, but you can make it work and have a good time as well.
If you need any more info feel free to e-mail me.

*NB* The above covers China only! Can't speak for Japan or Korea!

> Hi
> I am an Aussie high school teacher thinking about heading over to
> either China or Japan to teach. I have been offered several positions
> at universities in China offering around 4000/month and in Japan
> through NOVA agency. I read a lot of negative stuff on this forum and
> wondered whether I should head over or stay put in Brisbane? Is it
> worth it? Do you save any money? I am not a pretty blonde so will I
> be fired as soon as the see me? etc... Any advice would be much
> appreciated.

kate - 2004-10-11
HELP!

Hi
I am an Aussie high school teacher thinking about heading over to either China or Japan to teach. I have been offered several positions at universities in China offering around 4000/month and in Japan through NOVA agency. I read a lot of negative stuff on this forum and wondered whether I should head over or stay put in Brisbane? Is it worth it? Do you save any money? I am not a pretty blonde so will I be fired as soon as the see me? etc... Any advice would be much appreciated.

Return to Index › HELP!

Go to another board -