TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › EVER HEARD of CONFIDENCE or LOVE?!
#1 Parent The Arrogant One - 2004-10-17
CRITICIZE YOU?!! NEVER! YOU'RE A SOLID 10 IN MY GAME!

> Just another point, I wasnt really attacking the other rejoinder,
> but I did say GROSS errors. Sorry to be this direct, The Arrogant
> One, but I think you missed the point. Typos and a few comma splices
> are ok: we all do that.

> As to the sarcasm, the other rejoinder implied that I attack, at
> will, those that are just seeking friendly advice. Thats simply NOT
> true. I attacked people who offered nothing tangible. If you REALLY
> read my posts, you will see that Ive offered helpful advice to
> several people on Japan, including your last e-mail, which you did
> not reply. Again, sorry for being too abrupt or direct but I just
> wanted to clarify some things.

> Anyway, get that Stradivarius tuned and soothe our weary souls.

=====================================================

> Just another point, I wasnt really attacking the other rejoinder,
> but I did say GROSS errors. Sorry to be this direct, The Arrogant
> One, but I think you missed the point. Typos and a few comma splices
> are ok: we all do that.

> As to the sarcasm, the other rejoinder implied that I attack, at
> will, those that are just seeking friendly advice. Thats simply NOT
> true. I attacked people who offered nothing tangible. If you REALLY
> read my posts, you will see that Ive offered helpful advice to
> several people on Japan, including your last e-mail, which you did
> not reply. Again, sorry for being too abrupt or direct but I just
> wanted to clarify some things.

> Anyway, get that Stradivarius tuned and soothe our weary souls.

====================================================

My dear friend,

NEVER would I be so crass as to belittle YOUR splendiferous efforts in behalf of so many of our somewhat misinformed ESL brethren present in this forum. I am certain that everyone, including myself, well acknowledges your contributions in the areas of constructive opinions, advice, and information. As for MY not having replied to your last esl communiqu, you must try to accept my apology as, during the next several weeks, I will be committed to a gargantuan 11-hour-per-day teaching schedule between two schools here in Los Angeles! WHY I do these things (especially at my age) is, I fear, one of the inexplicable realities of MY misguidance.

While we are setting the record straight, please understand that, pertaining to your post of 10/12, I was not questioning your spelling of "supposed," but an ensuing word, "EPITOME," which was spelled "EPITOPME"! Check back, and you'll clearly see the error. In any event, I do agree with you in that ANYONE can be guilty of typos. It's just those misspellings which are entered over and over by 'teachers' which make me lose my composure!

Anyway, I've got the old Strad out again, and I'm practicing music designed to calm the hearts of the savage PRC employment agencies and their ever-so-innocent, native-speaking dupes!

Love to all, and ... VIVA ESL!

The Arrogant One

#2 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-13
good point

Sorry, mate, but I did say "supposed". I even checked it again. As for the other error, I agree.

I didnt want to come across pedantic; however, the level of grammar was so bad that it needed mentioning. In fact, thank you for catching mine. You see, that is another asset of this board. I didnt think it was JUST for info on schools. Though, that's very important. It's a board for the trade of English, right? Maybe I sounded harsh and pedantic, but I felt that people were really being silly and ignorant.

I will say that Ill attack those that attack me, but you are right that this board should maintain civility and be scholarly.

Peace out and jam on

#3 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-13
addendum...

Just another point, I wasnt really attacking the other rejoinder, but I did say GROSS errors. Sorry to be this direct, The Arrogant One, but I think you missed the point. Typos and a few comma splices are ok: we all do that.

As to the sarcasm, the other rejoinder implied that I attack, at will, those that are just seeking friendly advice. Thats simply NOT true. I attacked people who offered nothing tangible. If you REALLY read my posts, you will see that Ive offered helpful advice to several people on Japan, including your last e-mail, which you did not reply. Again, sorry for being too abrupt or direct but I just wanted to clarify some things.

Anyway, get that Stradivarius tuned and soothe our weary souls.

#4 Parent The Arrogant One - 2004-10-12
CONSISTENTLY proper English? ... Great thought!

You see, ESL_IN_ASIA, despite your commendable intentions, EVEN YOU, my dear friend, can flub the dub from time to time without even realizing same!

CASES IN POINT:

PARAGRAPH 2, SENTENCE #1 should read:
We are supposed to be the "EPITOME" of ESL Teaching...
N O T
We are suppossed to be the "EPITOPME" of ESL teaching ...

PARAGRAPH #2, SENTENCE #4
"We need FEWER general complaints."
N O T
"We need LESS general complaints."

Don't get me wrong. Albeit utilization of proper English IS highly contributory to the formulation of opinons about us instructors, NO ONE IS PERFECT! Moreover, due to pressure or WHATEVER, we instructors certainly fall into that category. Those of us who are reasonably well versed in our native tongue can usually spot the charlatans of the ESL game, while you can bet your bottom Rupee, Peso, or Euro-Dollar they will EVENTUALLY expose themselves. I agree with you in that this board is best utilized as a teaching medium for those who are TRULY seeking assistance in gaining a general comprehension of the language. Spelling errors and (mostly) typos can be corrected in a non-hostile manner without embarrassing or attacking a teacher's ego. Lord knows, we're not in this business for the 'fantastic salaries' or 'superlative living conditions offered'; nay! nay! I would hope to think our purpose is slightly more altruistic in nature. Now, let's start working TOGETHER my ESL brethren. There's an important job to be done!

Now, along with that chirping bird and rainbow shtik, let me take out the champagne and that Stradivarius of mine rotting away in the closet! Let's make some music ... TOGETHER! ("T'ank you, Fellas ... "Ah-one and
a-two, and ...!") ... "VIVA ESL!"

The Arrogant One

The Arrogant One

=========================================================================

Sorry, but I disagree with you.

> Not because I want to promulgate discordance, as you mentioned;
> rather, I think the group that points out gross spelling errors and
> grammar IS helping!!

> Why? Can you imagine, WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE EPITOPME OF ESL
> TEACHING? Is it helpful to allow this garbage? I do agree that we
> need more SPECIFIC information on schools and advice to land a good
> job. We need less GENERAL complaints. I, for one, was guilty of the
> latter and I apologize. But, I have offered non-negative advice,
> including now.

> You MUST use proper English when on this board or it makes ESL
> teachers look unqualified and incompetent. Thats why. Ok, now for
> the chirping birds, music and rainbow. Awwww.

#5 Parent ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-11
group for constructive English

Sorry, but I disagree with you.

Not because I want to promulgate discordance, as you mentioned; rather, I think the group that points out gross spelling errors and grammar IS helping!!

Why? Can you imagine, WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE EPITOPME OF ESL TEACHING? Is it helpful to allow this garbage? I do agree that we need more SPECIFIC information on schools and advice to land a good job. We need less GENERAL complaints. I, for one, was guilty of the latter and I apologize. But, I have offered non-negative advice, including now.

You MUST use proper English when on this board or it makes ESL teachers look unqualified and incompetent. Thats why. Ok, now for the chirping birds, music and rainbow. Awwww.

#6 Parent The Arrogant One - 2004-10-12
THERE'S HOPE FOR THE FUTURE.

Dear *Free*,

A faithful synopsis of the state of the case, yours most certainly is! Yes, sir, albeit there ARE two individual groups, it is apparent that the aim of BOTH is to ridicule rather than to enrich. This confirms what I recently wrote about discordance in this forum.

Regrettably, it would also seem that there aren't enough of the more positive thinkers available on the "eslteachersboard" to offer the brand of encouragement (for the more depressed of us) to which you allude. Or, is this 'silence of the ESLnicks' really representative of the apathy of the majority of those who now wallow in the contentment of no longer having occasion to encounter the woes of so many others represented on this board? Be this the case, my friend, I fear your plea for unity will bear little fruit. But, conversely, given the opportunity, those very same now-content puppies suddenly stick their noses up at the less-fortunate of us. That's human nature, I reckon, although I've never quite been able to fathom such deportment. On the other hand, my Judeo-Christian upbringing demands that I continue to believe in Mankind and the capability of personal improvement. (Amen)

Yes ... by all means ... (At least) LET'S (TRY to) UNITE!

========================================================================

> Today, I read a number of the teachers' postings on this page. I saw
> that each message had been answered by two groups. One group that
> cares for the teacher in trouble, and tries to give a hand; while the
> other group never cares about anything, but is very good at finding
> spelling and other mistakes.
> One of them is expert in finding spelling flaws, while the other two
> take care of the grammar as well!! There are also a couple who take
> care or statistics!!
> In none of their messages have they offered a solution to the
> teachers' problems!

> Each teacher's message seems to have been only answered by a few
> confident teachers who 'don't have to attack or to be against' to
> feel good! They show a good inner life with enough of confidence to
> share their care and confidence with other teachers!

> Why do some need to battle and be against - while a more Confident
> and Fulfilled person will either care to support, or will walk by,
> while throwing in a word of encouragement, to uplift the spirit of
> the person in trouble?!

> If you have the material world under your belt, then Have the
> confidence and love to care for helping others!

> Confidence breeds love and Cooperation!
> Live in Peace & happiness!

> *Free*

> YES, LETS UNITE!

#7 Parent Free* - 2004-10-11
EVER HEARD of CONFIDENCE or LOVE?!

Today, I read a number of the teachers' postings on this page. I saw that each message had been answered by two groups. One group that cares for the teacher in trouble, and tries to give a hand; while the other group never cares about anything, but is very good at finding spelling and other mistakes.
One of them is expert in finding spelling flaws, while the other two take care of the grammar as well!! There are also a couple who take care or statistics!!
In none of their messages have they offered a solution to the teachers' problems!

Each teacher's message seems to have been only answered by a few confident teachers who 'don't have to attack or to be against' to feel good! They show a good inner life with enough of confidence to share their care and confidence with other teachers!

Why do some need to battle and be against - while a more Confident and Fulfilled person will either care to support, or will walk by, while throwing in a word of encouragement, to uplift the spirit of the person in trouble?!

If you have the material world under your belt, then Have the confidence and love to care for helping others!

Confidence breeds love and Cooperation!
Live in Peace & happiness!

*Free*

YES, LETS UNITE!

Return to Index › EVER HEARD of CONFIDENCE or LOVE?!

Go to another board -