TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Dodgy I hear..
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-12
In response to Why not NOVA? (kate)

Well, about NOVA, I can only give you anecdotal information. A teacher I knew in Japan that worked for NOVA told me that, while paying more, NOVA actually paid less than the other schools. Apparently, the scam works like this: they pay you 170,000 per month but charge you above prices for accommodation in a flat with 3 other teachers. They deduct out about 70,000 yen, or about 10,000 more than accommodations at other schools. Then, they charge high fees for utilities and such. In the end you make less.

In Japan you MUST have a sponsor for a flat because the Japanese will not rent to a foreigner without a guarantor, if they even want to rent to a foreigner in the first place. I was turned down at two places because I was a foreigner and told that directly by the realtor. Those are the rules. Also, you must pay gift money, a realtors fee, a deposit and the first month's rent. So in total, about 3 thousand dollars up front. Thats also why you need a school to pay all that. So be careful on what the school charges you for rent. That could be the difference to a better paycheque at the end of the month.

I heard that not only did NOVA overcharge you on rent, but that they simply manage their teachers poorly. NOVA is like the McDonalds of English schools. There is one at every train station in Japanand there are too many train stations to count!!

I came over and looked for work by myself. I was lucky, but the age thing caused problems: I'm 39. Again, the further away from Tokyo, Osaka or some other megatropolis, the better are your chances. NOVA is pretty easy to land a job, I just didnt try them because all the teachers here have a running joke: if you cant find work, you can always work at NOVA. Sounds like McDs doesnt it?

Let me know if youd like more info.

Good Luck

Messages In This Thread
HELP! -- kate -- 2004-10-11
Should I go esl? -- Sanity -- 2004-10-12
Cruel genetics! -- kate -- 2004-10-12
Japan -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-11
Why not NOVA? -- kate -- 2004-10-12
Dodgy I hear.. -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-12
thanks -- kate -- 2004-10-12
China -- Dos -- 2004-10-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Dodgy I hear..

Go to another board -