TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › CONSISTENTLY proper English? ... Great thought!
The Arrogant One - 2004-10-12
In response to group for constructive English (ESL_IN_ASIA)

You see, ESL_IN_ASIA, despite your commendable intentions, EVEN YOU, my dear friend, can flub the dub from time to time without even realizing same!

CASES IN POINT:

PARAGRAPH 2, SENTENCE #1 should read:
We are supposed to be the "EPITOME" of ESL Teaching...
N O T
We are suppossed to be the "EPITOPME" of ESL teaching ...

PARAGRAPH #2, SENTENCE #4
"We need FEWER general complaints."
N O T
"We need LESS general complaints."

Don't get me wrong. Albeit utilization of proper English IS highly contributory to the formulation of opinons about us instructors, NO ONE IS PERFECT! Moreover, due to pressure or WHATEVER, we instructors certainly fall into that category. Those of us who are reasonably well versed in our native tongue can usually spot the charlatans of the ESL game, while you can bet your bottom Rupee, Peso, or Euro-Dollar they will EVENTUALLY expose themselves. I agree with you in that this board is best utilized as a teaching medium for those who are TRULY seeking assistance in gaining a general comprehension of the language. Spelling errors and (mostly) typos can be corrected in a non-hostile manner without embarrassing or attacking a teacher's ego. Lord knows, we're not in this business for the 'fantastic salaries' or 'superlative living conditions offered'; nay! nay! I would hope to think our purpose is slightly more altruistic in nature. Now, let's start working TOGETHER my ESL brethren. There's an important job to be done!

Now, along with that chirping bird and rainbow shtik, let me take out the champagne and that Stradivarius of mine rotting away in the closet! Let's make some music ... TOGETHER! ("T'ank you, Fellas ... "Ah-one and
a-two, and ...!") ... "VIVA ESL!"

The Arrogant One

The Arrogant One

=========================================================================

Sorry, but I disagree with you.

> Not because I want to promulgate discordance, as you mentioned;
> rather, I think the group that points out gross spelling errors and
> grammar IS helping!!

> Why? Can you imagine, WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE EPITOPME OF ESL
> TEACHING? Is it helpful to allow this garbage? I do agree that we
> need more SPECIFIC information on schools and advice to land a good
> job. We need less GENERAL complaints. I, for one, was guilty of the
> latter and I apologize. But, I have offered non-negative advice,
> including now.

> You MUST use proper English when on this board or it makes ESL
> teachers look unqualified and incompetent. Thats why. Ok, now for
> the chirping birds, music and rainbow. Awwww.

Messages In This Thread
EVER HEARD of CONFIDENCE or LOVE?! -- Free* -- 2004-10-11
group for constructive English -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-11
CONSISTENTLY proper English? ... Great thought! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-12
good point -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-13
addendum... -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-13
CRITICIZE YOU?!! NEVER! YOU'RE A SOLID 10 IN MY GAME! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-17
THERE'S HOPE FOR THE FUTURE. -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-10-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › CONSISTENTLY proper English? ... Great thought!

Go to another board -