TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Pros and Cons
ESL_IN_ASIA - 2004-10-18
In response to 2 more questions (yep, me again)

Well, I find that there are pros and cons to teaching kids or adults. Probably culture and the type of school will also be factors.

Currently, Im teaching old housewives in Japan that have no motivation to really learn English. Its not like teaching Europeans to pass the Cambridge Exam or young Asians to pass the TOEIC exam. So the problem is that, well, its boring.

Teaching kids is for sure more work. I have kids from 3 to 12 years old. For these kids, you just have to make a bunch of quick lessons for a shifting attention span. You have to have a lot of kinaesthetic activities and less book work. Im not trained in child psychology, other than one psychology course in university, so Im sure I could be doing things better. A lot Ive learned was through trial and error. Probably the only reason I like teaching ESL, if at all, is the challenge to teach those little tykes.

I've also taught Korean teenagers in an ESL school in Canada. I can attest that Korean teenagers, like any teenage kids, are a pain in the buttocks. However, Korean parents would punish them severely if I told them about their malfeasance. In Japan, kids can do nothing wrongbasically spoilt.

My point, I guess, is that if you feel you have a talent for kids, target them. Stay away from teenagers, as should be no surprise. Adults, if they are too old, are just a waste of time. Youd have more fun teaching grass to grow.

Its not that adults are too old; its just that in Asia, middle-age people are inflexible and boring. Yes, I too am almost middle-age. But, coming from North America, I believe in change and new challenges. Asians, on the other hand, dont like changejust ask them.

My advice is go for the kids and eschew boring adults. Just my humble opinion.

Messages In This Thread
Newbie Question(s) -- Thunder VanBrocklin -- 2004-10-18
avoid recruiters -- PJ -- 2004-10-18
2 more questions -- yep, me again -- 2004-10-18
pros and cons -- Amelia -- 2004-10-18
Pros and Cons -- ESL_IN_ASIA -- 2004-10-18
blacklists -- PJ -- 2004-10-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Pros and Cons

Go to another board -