TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › south korean recruiting company
#1 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-05-11
Re: South Korean recruiting company

that's 120 hours/month not 120 hours a week not even Koreans work 120 hours a week :)

#2 Parent Alan J. Lewis - 2004-04-10

sounds like solid advice...again thanks!

#3 Parent Sinophile - 2004-04-10

Holidays. About Korean schools. Most schools offer 7-10 paid days (does not include weekends). Some##### the school will TELL you when you can take your holiday. This is YOUR choice not THEIRS. I know the labour law. It is best to take your holidays when YOU want them, attached to national holidays thus making for very long weekends etc. If you fly to Tahiland etc. you need at least a week to relax and spend time on the beach, at the clubs, shopping, touring etc. Stand firm or you will be walked on.

#4 Parent Sinophile - 2004-04-08

Alan, The work load is usually a bit less in Japan but the Japanese are a more up-tight people so the school culture is less relaxed. (I want to try a year in Japan.) 5-6 classes a day (5 days a week) is normal in Korea and the really tiring aspect is the split shift that some schools use. You teach one or two classes in the morning (7 am with students half asleep) and the rest in the afternoon or evening. This can make for a very very long day. Some schools close their doors at 10 or 11pm. Don't take a contract with such a schedule. You will feel like a slave or burn out. Compressed hours are best, say 2pm to 8pm with 10 mins. break between classes. Some schools do not include the 10 mins. break in your total work hours (!!!!) and this is just cheap and mean. Don't accept such a contract. Beware.

#5 Parent Alan J. Lewis - 2004-04-07

thanks for the info...120hrs per week of teaching! that's a lot.
Alan

#6 Parent Sinophile - 2004-04-07

Ya Alan, Getting the return ticket at the end of the contract is normal. It is actually cheaper if the school buys a return airfare.

If you are concerned about getting your severance pay (1 month's salary, ususlly 2 million) at the end of contract (called taechicum here) then ask that it be paid in monthly increments (as done in most of the world). In other words, your salary would not be 12 x 2 million/month = 24 mllion/year but 26 million/year. Understand? If more teachers asked for this there would be less fighting and disappointment at the end of contract. Don't accept Saturday or Sunday teaching unless it is for a lot more money. It will burn you out. Teaching load is heavy in Korea, usually 120 hrs/week.
Stay healthy.

#7 Parent Alan J. Lewis - 2004-04-06
Re: south korean recruiting company

Thanks Kim! :)

regards,
Alan

#8 Parent Kim - 2004-04-06
Re: south korean recruiting company

Hello Alan,

Check this Korean black list site: http://koreablacklist.tripod.com/

Also, ask to talk to 2 esl teachers at school, emails and phone #s.

Plane tickets, most schools in Korea offer one way trip at the beginning and the return ticket after your contract completition.
The ideal scenario is to get prepaid the full airfare.

Severance pay is a problem too, most schools refuse to pay it as stated in contract.

And last but very important, ask the distance of your apt to school.

Korean schools are good (majority).

Good Luck!

Kim

Alan J. Lewis - 2004-04-06
south korean recruiting company

ETIK recruting company in south korea.
does anybody know about this company and are they reputable?

plus, is the offer of a one-way ticket sent to me, then the return ticket issued to me at the school in korea upon completion of my contract date...advisable?

regards.

Alan

Return to Index › south korean recruiting company

Go to another board -