: HELLO. I HAVE BEEN DESPERATELY LOOKING FOR A GOOD REPUTABLE SCHOOL
: TO SIGN UP WITH. I DON'T HAVE A B.A. OR A TEFL CERTIFICATE, AND
: I AM NOT A STUDENY AT PRESENT. I STILL WANT TO TEACH. I HEARD
: THAT CHINA JAPAN WELL ASIA IS THE PLACE THATS HIRING ALOT OF
: PEOPLE. BUT I DON'T WANT TO GO THERE. I'D LIKE TO GO TEACH ON A
: TOPICAL ISLAND SOMEWHERE.
: OF COURSE I WANT TO HAVE GOOD BENEITS HOUSING AND RELOCATION
: ACCOMADATIONS.

Well, it seems that you are asking so much with so little. There are thousands of qualified teachers out there who are having difficulties finding a job. If you are thinking of finding a job in Paradise or Fantasy Island, I suggest you try getting the necessary qualifications; or yours may only be a pipe dream. Good Luck

#2 Parent Pat - 2004-04-11
Re: FINDING A GOOD TEFL JOB

Hello Kevin, I found this info about Costa Rica. Cheers!

Costa Rica

Posted By: English2GO <jobs@english2go.co.cr>
Date: Wednesday, 7 April 2004

Language school in Costa Rica is looking for ESL teachers with the following.
1 Native born North American
2 University Graduate
3 Have a CELTA teaching certificate
4 Responsible and dependable
5 Customer service quality oriented
6 Able to stay until the end of the year (late November to mid December)
7 Honest trustworthy etc...
8 Teaching experience is a plus

You will teach in companies, offices and houses. We go to them. You need to arrive with some survival money (minimum $1000 US for living expenses) Bring more if you plan to travel. You will eventually work aout 20 hours a week and earn around $600 US (definitely enough to live here on)

Our teachers need to be talented and well prepared, but as well they need to be responsible service oriented individuals that care about their students and are willing to do what it takes to make a student and/or client satisfied. Given a choice of a great teacher with a bad attitude and a mediocre teacher that is quality conscience well take the latter.
We prefer the majority to be North Americans. I think your mix of 90% North American and 10 % British is perfectly acceptable.
The majority of our customers are using the New Interchange series from Cambridge. We are also thinking about using Lets Talk and do offer our customers different business books all from Cambridge. In all of our courses, we emphasize the "communicative approach", focusing on conversation. We use the students books workbooks, CD-ROMs and videos. We usually have a contracted time frame for a particular course but allow the teacher to have some flexibility depending on the students or groups pace. We encourage teachers to use their imagination as much as possible.
A typical class is 4-6 hours per week, usually split between two or three mornings, lunch ##### or evenings. Of course, most of our clients prefer the evening hours and we also offer Saturday classes.
The group sizes have varied from one to twelve students, but we have made the decision to change this for English2go and have decided that after 8 students in a group we will put a second teacher in the class, mainly to facilitate language practice. For example, if a class has 10 students, when we split the group up for practice each teacher will be monitoring the progress of 5 students.
Teacher candidates should be well-rounded people and prepared to adapt to the needs of the students. Any specialized vocabulary knowledge a teacher can bring would be a plus especially business, accounting, medical or legal.

We will be paying a rate of $5.00-7.00 an hour, which is pretty good here. We will not be paying for expenses, travel time, or class preparation. This is pretty standard here. In the case that a teacher has to travel a great distance we will pay more per hour to compensate. This will also be the case if a teacher has to work weekends or has a short class with a fair amount of travel to arrive to it.
There is considerable traveling involved with these positions. The local bus service is very good and inexpensive. A teacher will probably spend from 30 minutes to an hour traveling back and forth to their classes.
Although our pay rate is above average and we will be trying to give a teacher enough teaching hours to live comfortably (between 15-25 hours a week) we suggest they arrive in Costa Rica with a little start up money. Some people find it is more expensive to live here than they expected. I would suggest they plan on bringing about a thousand dollars with them.
We are ready to help as much as a teacher would like us to when it comes to housing arrangements. There are several different options. They can live with a Costa Rican family ($200 - $300 per month with 3 meals and laundry included), rent a room in a shared house with other foreigners (about $150 per month), or rent an apartment or house (they start at about $200 per month). We are currently negotiating with a student of ours who is building three apartments in a really nice area in the San Jose suburbs, however I dont have a price yet. These are supposed to be completed in December. And yes they will be furnished.
The legal part is pretty much like this, getting working papers for Costa Rica is very difficult unless you marry a Costa Rican citizen, invest a lot of money here, or are brought in by a very large company to fulfill a need that no Costa Rican is qualified for. Unfortunately this leaves the majority of English teachers out of luck. However, in reality, this is not a big problem. A large percentage of the people teaching English here are foreigners working "illegally" on a regular tourist visa. I did this for almost four years and had absolutely no problems. I was able to operate a successful business without problems. I did get married last year and I now finally have my residence. What I suggest is that when a teacher comes into the country, they say they are a tourist, and get the standard 3-month tourist visa. At the end of the 3 months you can either leave the country for 72 hours by going to Nicaragua or Panama and renew your visa for another 3 months, or you can overstay it and pay a small fine when you do decide to leave the country (about $50 - $60 USD).
Teachers need to think about health insurance. I would suggest they purchase some type of international major medical policy in case of the worst. Because of the immigration policies, they cannot sign up for the state run health insurance. Medical care here is much cheaper here than in the States, however its not free. They can buy a policy here but the insurance here is a state run monopoly and I think it is actually cheaper to buy it at home.
I would like for teachers to be ready to commit for a minimum of 6 months. The most ideal time for us to change teachers will be at the end of the year, because a large majority of our clients stop studying in the first weeks of December and start again in the first or second week of January.
We would prefer our teachers be at least university graduates with studies in English or Education.

kevin ward - 2004-04-10
FINDING A GOOD TEFL JOB

HELLO. I HAVE BEEN DESPERATELY LOOKING FOR A GOOD REPUTABLE SCHOOL TO SIGN UP WITH. I DON'T HAVE A B.A. OR A TEFL CERTIFICATE, AND I AM NOT A STUDENY AT PRESENT. I STILL WANT TO TEACH. I HEARD THAT CHINA JAPAN WELL ASIA IS THE PLACE THATS HIRING ALOT OF PEOPLE. BUT I DON'T WANT TO GO THERE. I'D LIKE TO GO TEACH ON A TOPICAL ISLAND SOMEWHERE.
OF COURSE I WANT TO HAVE GOOD BENEITS HOUSING AND RELOCATION ACCOMADATIONS.

Return to Index › FINDING A GOOD TEFL JOB

Go to another board -