TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › i need help, want to work in asia
#1 Parent Lisa - 2004-05-06
Re: i need help, want to work in asia

I have been working in Taiwan for 2 years now...I worked at a cram school and you do have to sign a contract. But...many people break that, a) if they find out they don't like it b) only planned to stay 6 months (like you) c) find another/better job. It's not that great for the school for you to break the contract, but it is possible. You might just lose out on a bonus at the end of your contract or your flight back. It is still worth coming and trying it out. It's a great experience even if you only plan to stay 6 months. I think that's long enough to see what teaching in Asia is all about.
Good Luck...

#2 Parent Sinophile - 2004-04-26

GNB (Maybe Girls N Boys school chain) read CJ's post but didn't understand it. CJ is not in Korea!

CJ is worried that he/she will not like a Korean hogwan and may want to leave after 4 months. CJ is cautious for good reason as Korean school managers or owners have a very bad reputation worldwide. They earned it. The schools in Taiwan and Japan are well aware of this, as are recruiting agents everywhere. When foreign teachers get lied to and subjected to white colar thieft some walk out. Quite natural.

#3 Parent GNB - 2004-04-25

: hello....i am seriously considering working in south korea or
: taiwan. the problem is, i only want to stay for 4-6 months, and
: most of the contracts are for a year minimum. what happens if i
: sign a year long contract and i quit after 4-6 months(after
: letting them pay for my airfare), claiming homesickness or just
: not liking the culture? i feel this is a little unethical, but
: are there any other possibilities?????? will i have trouble with
: the authorities for breaking a contract? i'd appreciate any
: advise....
You time teaching in Korea is over. Any director that find out the reasons you left your previous job will tell you bye (even part time). Just in case you are planning to teach in Japan or TW, your bad record from Korea will follow you (they may call korea for references). My 2 cents: Save some money and pay back the airfare and recruiting fee to school in exchange for a Release Letter. Some schools accept less money back or 3 part, etc. payments. Best!

#4 Parent Sinophile - 2004-04-25

CJ There is a way that you can work for 4 months, just fly over and work part-time or on a trial basis. Test the waters. Tell the boss directly, honestly what you want. You have to pay your own air ticket though. If you leave a contract after four months and you accepted money for your airflight, then yes you can be stopped and held at the airport. It rarely happens though.

c.j. - 2004-04-24
i need help, want to work in asia

hello....i am seriously considering working in south korea or taiwan. the problem is, i only want to stay for 4-6 months, and most of the contracts are for a year minimum. what happens if i sign a year long contract and i quit after 4-6 months(after letting them pay for my airfare), claiming homesickness or just not liking the culture? i feel this is a little unethical, but are there any other possibilities?????? will i have trouble with the authorities for breaking a contract? i'd appreciate any advise....

Return to Index › i need help, want to work in asia

Go to another board -