TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching in Korea
#1 Parent Michael Joseph Beauchot - 2004-05-11
Re: Teaching in Korea

Incheon has the best airport in the world- so your trip will definitely start off on the right foot. I enjoyed my seven months in Seoul and am trying to go back now.

#2 Parent Budda - 2004-05-08

There are several warning about teaching in Korea here (below) and on daveseslteachersboard.com Basically you should be asking for 2 million won a month, no Saturday teaching, no rent for your apt. as it is just a 1 year contract, and you should ask that your pension be paid in monthly installments as it is often stolen by the employer at the end of contract. Sorry but true. Ask for your hospital health card the week you arrive, and keep asking. The first time you go to a hospital clinic take a Korean with you. The tax rate is 3.4% on your earnings so don't let anybody con you and take 8 or 9 %.
Good Luck!

#3 Parent ESL Teachers Board - 2004-05-07

Hello Gary,

Here is some information about Incheon.

Incheon (famous as the site for MacArthur's strategic landing during the Korean War) provides one of the few ports along the Yellow Sea to the west. It is also the home for Korea's new international airport built on Yeongjong Island, which is expected to become a major transportation hub in Northeast Asia. Off the coast are numerous islands, some still uninhabited. Many people who live in Incheon make the arduous trek to Seoul each day. Conversely, many Seoulites flock here on the weekends to enjoy fresh fish and visit the islands.

More information at this link: http://www.lifeinkorea.com/travel2/Inchon

Best of Luck to you!

Gary - 2004-05-07
Teaching in Korea

I am a firstimer to Korea about to take a job in Incheon.

Please advise,

Thank you!!

Return to Index › Teaching in Korea

Go to another board -