TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Qualifications needed in Asia?
#1 Parent Robin Day - 2004-05-11
Re: Qualifications needed in Asia?

If you want to teach in Korea write me directly.

In China and much of the world you must drink sealed bottled water or just boil it and drink hot or cold tea like all the local people. This includes brushing your teeth. In Mexico I brushed my teeth in white rum and the 40% alcohol took care of most of the microbes. I was in Mexico (Yucatan) for two weeks and never sick. In Mexico it is important to dress down. I'll write a short article soon about safe travelling.

#2 Parent Li - 2004-05-11
Re: Qualifications needed in Asia?

Try China. Some schools can accept you without a BA. 18 is very young thought. Korea, gov. required a BA. no chance there.

best.

shilao - 2004-05-10
Qualifications needed in Asia?

I am a high school student, and a native speaker of English. I am also conversant in Mandarin and understand some Cantonese. I am interested in teaching English in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, or Vietnam (particularly China or Taiwan) in the near future, if not necessarily after graduation.

My questions are primarily about qualifications. Is it necessary to have a university degree first? I have looked at some of the job postings and many of them do not specifically mention this. Would my age be a barrier (it would be at least eighteen)? What are some suggestions? Finally, what should be done about water, especially if the job was in one of the less large cities...that is, is the tap water likely to be safe? Thanks.

Return to Index › Qualifications needed in Asia?

Go to another board -