TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Reno and Frank: You'll Feel better - Teachers discussion
Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-04-22
In response to Reasons to Be - Teachers discussion (Raoul Duke)

Reno & Frank: you will feel better later. I have never seen you this down.
I never think I can change the whole show..that is a dead end, anywhere. Sometimes my 2 responsive students get me through the week. I never think of the admin as my real employers. They don't care about education. The kids who want to learn are why I keep doing it. When the place gets too sour I move on at the end of the contract. I move on a lot and invest my earnings. It is better for them and better for me. Surprisingly, very surprisingly, I agree with Raoul (who is Hemmingway). I am in China for the China experience. I was in Korea for the Korea experience. I have met really interesting and friendly guys at bars in Japan on short jaunts and also angry old men (zenophobes left over from WW2). I've been able to travel all over Asia, sometimes with my funny and trustworthy friend from Nova Scotia. The school is just a small part of what I want to learn and share.
ESL salaries are nothing special by western standards but I think I live well (single) and invest a lot in two countries. Been able to land jobs at colleges and universities and the work load is smaller here. Finally I hate cold and snow, so like a summer bird am glad to flee the north. Can a person have a family with this salary? No, not on one income, even with the rent-free apt.

Messages In This Thread
What's the point? - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-17
I Feel it is Relevant! - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-04-18
Two options - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-18
Or, I could... - Teachers discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-04-19
Well said. - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-19
Here's the point! - Teachers discussion -- Hemingway -- 2006-04-18
Why the defense? - Teachers discussion -- Raoul Duke D.U.I., B.L.T., L.S.D., RUN.DMC -- 2006-04-18
I'm out. You can have it all. -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-19
I'm with you. - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-19
I may be here another year...... - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-19
Reasons to Be - Teachers discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-04-19
Reno and Frank: You'll Feel better - Teachers discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-04-22
I was wrong about my real role, ultimately - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-04-22
Think globally, act locally...... - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-22
Reno Join em. That's my suggestion. - Teachers discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-04-22
Nice observations. I've seen this myself. - Teachers discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-04-23
I forgot to mention..... - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-18
So what? - Teachers discussion -- Ted Hamill -- 2006-04-18
What are you replying to? - Teachers discussion -- frank andrews -- 2006-04-18
Kind of like comparing apples to oranges. - Teachers discussion -- Ted Hamill -- 2006-04-19
i think you're absolutely right - Teachers discussion -- vince -- 2006-04-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Reno and Frank: You'll Feel better - Teachers discussion

Go to another board -