TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET
San Migs - 2015-01-17

Very glad to hear that you are forward planning for the day when teaching ESL is no longer an option- apologies for lumping you in with those who don't plan in this way. I know you have done other jobs - it all adds to the life experiences that are valuable in teaching Asian students. Health insurance is a must in China but you need access to a decent hospital - HK is probably a better place to be treated.

I wouldn't say I am as well planned as you, but I am sure there are others like me in the PRC.The anecdote about the british guy I knew near Guangzhou is true.I also knew an elderly american like that.The only real way I could change it is return to the UK, but I have neither rented bricks nor mortar there. Getting a rental agreement is hard after being in China for so long---they demand references or some landlords might waive the references but insist on 6 months rent upfront, they won't do that to immigrants, lest they be accused of racism and have the full weight of social services on their backs. Figuratively speaking of course. I am presently in HK as I mentioned, but here it is expensive and competitive also. Nowhere is easy, factor in that over 40's cannot get mortgages and the UK is no longer easier. I know of an american with a PHD there...he cannot get a long term stay or british passport, so he does not even care about the pension, why worry of a UK pension if you aren't even allowed residency there, or are more or less homeless/stateless?

Thanks for the reply again, as I said I don't want us to get into baiting each other anymore, it is counterproductive and does nothing but raise blood pressure.

Enjoy the weekend,
SMGS

Messages In This Thread
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- San Migs -- 2015-01-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET

Go to another board -