TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET
Beth - 2015-01-22

What annoys me is that that these tests ( like IELTS ) are specifically used to measure English proficiency, and anybody who gets low scores in considered to be a failure. A person can get low IELTS scores and still be fluent in English. It is just a test. Just like the HSK is not a sign of Chinese proficiency. Beth likes to denigrate two 5 minute Oral English Exams ( standard at Chinese public universities ) per semester, but holds IELTS up above criticism. A Chinese student can learn to read, write and speak English without taking a plethora of exams each semester.

No, they are not considered a failure. An accusation I addressed fully here http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?noframes;read=99956 that you failed spectacularly to be able to respond to.

IELTS tests all round fluency, not just oral fluency. So yes, you can speak well and still get a low score at IELTS because it tests more than just speaking ability.

You openly admit to never having taught IELTS preparation, so it really is quite ludicrous that you continue to post with such assumed authority on a topic you know very little about in reality.

This being proven again when you state that IELTS involves a 'plethora' of testing per academic year when in fact it is just one test. Something the student will have studied for and prepared for for however long prior to taking.

I also do not hold IELTS above criticism, in my opinion it is a distant second to the ESOL exams, but yes I do hold it in.much higher regard than I do 2 5 minute oral exams, that are given by the students own teacher (thus leaving margin for bias) and especially so when the person grading has no idea of the CEFR in which to accurately grade the ability of the candidates.

Messages In This Thread
Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET -- Beth -- 2015-01-22
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Two Hong Kong universities drop the CET

Go to another board -