TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re English teachers in China
San Migs - 2015-02-13

Yes, it is the year of the sheep, ba...aaaaa.

I suppose it is bad form to eat lamb chops at this time of year then? Joke:-)

I have deep respect for Greg as he takes quite a clinical or should I say clinician's view of China. But I am surprised at the use of the titles he is referring to. Where I worked in my last job, Chinese male PhDs were referred to as Mr. [ family name] and female PhDs as Miss [family name]. Professors were indeed referred to as Professor [family name]. It's not dissimilar to the way we refer to consultants in the medical profession in the UK as Mr rather than Doctor.

I may have met this fellow Greg once in a certain southern province, but I cannot be sure.But when it comes to "academic arrogance" I would say the Brits in China are some of the worst.Not saying you personally, but the professors look down on those with only MAs. MA holders look down on BA holders, and BA holders on those without and so on.FT's in general can be very competitive. I only have a BA in English Literature, thought about doing the CELTA at Campbell in Valencia, Spain, but to me it only seems like a training centre qualification. Who knows I may do it one day, but I maintain it is not really needed, at least, not for Asia in the public sector. But thanks for your input in your reply.

Best guess is that most of these 'linguistic foibles' relate to a time when China was less industrialised and more agrarian and have carried through into the language but I'm sure the sinophiles will give me the background. Maybe it refers to the idea of organic rather than battery farming?

That is very likely.We call a goat a goat and a sheep a sheep.So I am just curious as to how the Chinese use yang and shan yang accordingly.To me it seems yang is all encompassing in China, like it just means mutton, when as we know a goat and a sheep are different. We would not say sheep, and then mountain sheep, in English...or would we??

Either way, have a happy new year of the goat!

Messages In This Thread
Re English teachers in China -- San Migs -- 2015-02-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re English teachers in China

Go to another board -