TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Asian Americans to Western Colleges
Thoughts - 2015-02-24
In response to Asian Americans to Western Colleges (Sharp)

Interesting point you raise. If the schools went off test scores alone then the schools would be filled with mainly Asian (East and South Asian) students. However we (teachers) who have experience in the field here in Asia see that high test scores does not correlate with knowledge or being educated, just that they are really good at taking test. With that said, is the current application fair, equitable, or right? These are big questions and schools answer them as they see fit (sometimes in a safe way, like lets not get sued way). In part we would think that academia would want the best and the brightest, but even a highly diverse country like America if entrance rates were left unhindered/unmolested then it would be mostly white. Now some schools are progressive and seek the best but it does seem that the educational model is based more on the democratic one. Meaning for schools are looked at for three functions in regards to education: vocational, academic, democratic. We can see an evolution/change within education in America which was more vocational for the masses and academic for the upper class and now it is becoming more democratic for everyone (i.e., a right for everyone). There are still schools that specialize in vocational studies which, in one of my studies, I feel more schools are starting to lean towards this model and the older method of academic model which is subsequently being lost/diluted (this is another topic). Meaning academic schooling is for its own right, you take the higher (science) courses not because you will ever use them but because that's what it means to be educated.

So to your question I think they are trying to keep it 'democratic' in the sense an equal representation of society versus filled with everyone who is either really good at test scores or the majority. The original term democratic meant rule by majority but it is used differently in this case. If anyone is interested college libraries usually should have a wealth of information on education, its history, and role within society, and some periodic journals devoted to this subject, I know mine did.

It is sad in a way as the US has been a nation of immigrants and usually first and second generations push themselves really hard and tend to contribute a lot to America however now it is more about being equal. Though if people has been paying attention, if someone really wants to go, they can go as an international students, schools love them (i.e., cash cows)

"if all are equal none are free, if all are free none are equal"

P.S. sorry if I jumped around a lot.

Messages In This Thread
Asian Americans to Western Colleges -- Sharp -- 2015-02-22
Re Asian Americans to Western Colleges -- martin hainan -- 2015-03-01
Re Asian Americans to Western Colleges -- Caring -- 2015-03-02
Re Asian Americans to Western Colleges -- martin hainan -- 2015-03-03
Re Asian Americans to Western Colleges -- Caring -- 2015-02-28
Re Asian Americans to Western Colleges -- Thoughts -- 2015-02-24
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Asian Americans to Western Colleges

Go to another board -