TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › ESL and the Built Environment - Graduate Student of Architecture in need of assistance
Kitty Slaughter - 2015-02-25

Hello ESL teacher’s board!,

My name is Kitty Slaughter, I am a graduate student at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas majoring in Architecture with a concentration in educational facilities. My current project is understanding the ESL program and the ESL classroom. I would like to design a school that best facilitates ESL learning to a mainstream classroom as an all-inclusive learning environment. Nevada is one of the states with the highest amount of incoming and already here ESL students but is also one of the worst in funding and education, therefore my interest in ESL is hopefully to improve that situation through aide of the built environment. In order to do that however, I need insight on what an ESL classroom needs and therefore I have some questions that I would truly appreciate if you would not mind answering. I’m interested in reaching out to as many ESL teachers as possible and the ESL teaching community as well. I’m primarily focusing on High School ESL, but any information is extremely valuable to me. Here are some of the survey questions I have for teachers if it is alright for them to be posted:

1. How many students on average are in an ESL class?

2. How long do students meet for on a weekly basis?

3. What kinds of activities do you do in your ESL class?

4. What kind of technology is utilized in ESL teaching?

5. Is there an ESL group for each grade level or for their level of knowledge of the English language?

6. Where is your ESL class located on your school campus? (IE: is it in the basement, next to a gym, mixed in, changes, etc.)

7. If there is anything you would love to see in change about your classroom, size, shape, light, or anything else, what would you want to change about your classroom?

8. General information:

-What age level/grade level do you teach?

-How long have you been teaching for?

-If you don't mind answering, what state (or country) do you teach in? What school?

Additional comments or questions are also welcome and I would be open for any suggestions on changes. General commentary is also welcome if you do not feel like answering all of the questions or just have some overall advice for me. Anything helps.

Once again I would truly appreciate any help I am able to get and thank you in advance for your time! This information will definitely help with my project on designing an ESL school that I can hopefully propose to committees for future school designs. :)

· Previous · Next Return to Index › ESL and the Built Environment - Graduate Student of Architecture in need of assistance

Go to another board -