TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Do I need a qualification? - Teachers Discussion
olivia - 2006-05-10

Hi

I am hoping to get some advice.

I want to teach English abroad (preferably in China at first). I am currently working as a Teaching Assistant in the English department of a secondary school in the UK. I also have experience teaching history and some TEFL/ EAL experience gained from this role. By the time I leave for China, I will have had one year of experience working in education. I also have a BA (hons) degree.

The problem is that I the only CELTA courses available (part time and full time) do not fit in with my timetable and term times. There is also the issue of cost, as a Teaching Assistants wages are awfully low. Therefore my questions are:

1) Considering my experience, which includes a lot of practical teaching experience, do I really need a TEFL?

2) If yes, then would a weekend TEFL be sufficient?

3) Might an on-line TEFL course be OK?

4) Are there schemes in China where I would be able to train on the job and, as a result, receive a recognised TEFL qualification, which I could go on to use in Japan, for example?

Please help, Im starting to panic as I plan to leave in December! I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Olivia >\-| XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Messages In This Thread
Do I need a qualification? - Teachers Discussion -- olivia -- 2006-05-10
At which level will you be teaching? - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-05-11
Training and China - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Do I need a qualification? - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -