TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re To Cunning Linguist: Is it THAT bad?
San Migs - 2015-03-28

We did not turn our backs on our kith and kin. “Immigration policy remained embedded in the structures and systems of the British Commonwealth (also known as the British Empire) until the 1960s, with Commonwealth citizens guaranteed the right of entry ... However, it is true that nationals of many other countries, particularly former British colonies like India and Jamaica, have had their access to the United Kingdom progressively eroded. “(op cit)

I take it this was meant for me so I will respond. These boards are free to all, after all, regardless of internet connection or geographical location.

We did really turn our backs on Australia and Canada and New Zealand, and it was a foolhardy mistake. I still maintain we could have a commonwealth free trade area, reciprocal visas, and even a rotating president/prime minister, and perhaps even a shared currency, each country including the UK, would of course retain their sovereignty. Given we have a shared language and cultural background, why on earth do we keep looking to continental europe for trouble, we conquered Germany and helped out France and what do we get? Constant EU diktat and whinging because we refuse to adopt the Euro as currency and so on. This from the same germany that was defeated by us, and now has the temerity to dictate to the rest of the eurozone as it sees fit.

Messages In This Thread
Re To Cunning Linguist: Is it THAT bad? -- San Migs -- 2015-03-28
Re To Cunning Linguist: Is it THAT bad? -- yu2fa3 - tuscan -- 2015-03-28
Re To Cunning Linguist: Is it THAT bad? -- Somebody -- 2015-03-28
Re To Cunning Linguist: Is it THAT bad? -- yu2fa3 - tuscan -- 2015-03-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re To Cunning Linguist: Is it THAT bad?

Go to another board -