TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Hey Rheno - Teachers Discussion
DB - 2006-05-16
In response to Hey, Bob. - Teachers Discussion (Rheno747)

Hey Rheno........Nice to know you're still kicking around and made the wise choice to hang out in Thailand despite the difficulties. DB is a new nom de plume for me here, but we've communicated before. As for why so many of us take the choice to hang out in China.....hmmm, can't say for sure. But as far as the weather goes, I avoid the north and the brutal weather there. Hanging out in Yunnan or Guangxi in the south west is hard to beat weather wise; although, Guangxi can get pretty damn hot and humid. Beyond that, even though the salaries are low, it's pretty easy to save enough to travel during the down times. If you ever have the opportunity to travel, I'd recommend either Northern or Southern Yunnan or just about anywhere in Guangxi. My next trip in Guangxi will be to the Vietnam - Guangxi border with a brief foray to Vietnam thrown in. Aside from the great scenery and weather here it's also very interesting in terms of minority cultures.
One thing that plagues me, and perhaps you can comment on, is the pollution and downright disdain for the environment I've seen when traveling in Thailand. Not that it doesn't exist here, but it's interesting to me that the obvious political power that Buddhists enjoy in Thailand is seemingly not manifested in the least as environmental awareness or consciousness. I once wrote a paper in college called "Buddhism and Environmental Consciousness," and my research at that time led me to believe the contrary - that indeed Buddhist leaders in Thailand did wield their authority in that direction. But when I was there I saw no evidence to support that.
Well then, keep on keepin' on Rheno.

Messages In This Thread
Well, isn't that special... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-12
hey kids... - Teachers Discussion -- uncle bob -- 2006-05-13
"At least not the "illicit" kind", said Lilly - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-05-14
yeah but... - Teachers Discussion -- uncle bob -- 2006-05-14
Hey, Bob. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-05-16
Hey Rheno - Teachers Discussion -- DB -- 2006-05-16
Hey, DB - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-05-17
Or at least be carefuller - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Hey Rheno - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -