TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China
martin hainan - 2015-05-06

I read both articles at publication.

I love and respect the NY Times and despise Bloomberg, person and Inc.

The NY Times, however, has for decades displayed an anti-China bias. Much of their reporting is literally peripheral, since they are unable to sustain sufficient quality staff in China. Certainly, much of that is not their fault, given restrictions on foreign reporting in China. But, fill-in-the-blanks off-site graduate student reporting should be acknowledged as such. Additionally, several of their reporters in China have had affiliations with U.S. government agencies (the most politic manner in which I can express that situation).

China is a target for all corporate media, including the NY Times, precisely because they are obligated but unable to generate profit for investors by publication in the worlds' largest media market, China. Chinese government officials attempt to leverage that profit motive to modify content. That sucks. But that's life in modern, fast-developing China.

As a result, the NY Times is the gold-standard source for balanced aggressive investigatory journalism in the West.

In China, not so much.

I'm reminded of the final lines of Polanski's "Chinatown": "Forget it Jake, it's China...town."

Messages In This Thread
The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- Caring -- 2015-05-06
Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- martin hainan -- 2015-05-06
Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- Caring -- 2015-05-07
Re: Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- Curious -- 2015-05-06
Re: Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- martin hainan -- 2015-05-06
Re: Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- Curious -- 2015-05-06
Re: The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- Curious -- 2015-05-06
Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China -- Rotten Cabbage -- 2015-05-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Re The Times, Bloomberg News, and the Richest Man in China

Go to another board -