TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › How far do we dare venture?
The Arrogant One - 2006-05-28

LOOK ... I'd be the first to back a dude's freedom of speech -- especially around Memorial Day and with a son currently serving in the JAG Corps in Iran. B-U-T, guys, using this particular forum as a sounding board for dissention concerning practically every phase of the TEFL biz is a little much ... even for this aging born skeptic. NO, I'm not saying that most of the bitching hasn't been legit. And as His Excellency Duke Raoul so aptly put the case, we do have need of such things if not only as a source of reference. B-U-T such bitter bitching in a forum meant to stimulate its readership through accentuation of all the positive aspects of TEFLing ... well, it's a little much for my money! The original notion I got was that the virgin TEFL instructor tuned in to the ESL Teachers' Board to obtain a first-hand knowledge of the JOYS of teaching abroad. Naturally, there have always been the negative aspects of any job to deal with, however this forum has unfortunately become a gathering place for those who relish attacking the wicked as well as casting serious doubt on the credibility of those who have not heretofore initiated even the slightest degree of wrong-doing. Hell's bells, folks, have we forgotten that along with that freedom of speech schtick goes one's being innocent before proven guilty!

Sure ... sure ... as a hardened veteran of this business, I admit I've had days when I've considered every school and teacher agent as crooked as the next. B-U-T, I'm certain we all know that each day is a fresh experience, while in an age when Asian schools are in dire need of the crme de la crme of EFL instructors from the States, I'm certain we don't want to turn off any potential instructor's interest or enthusiasm before the fact. Let's use the Teacher Discussion area of the ESL Teachers'Board as a source of information presented factually and logically -- but never emotionally.

If this is what you alluded to as my "good sense and maturity," Mr. Fish, I'm sorry. I love teaching variations of thinking and not dwelling on only one way of viewing an issue. Teachers new to the TEFL field will have time enough to experience, study, and reach their own conclusions -- be they positive or negative. I, for one, intend to be informative, but never persuasive . So sue me already!

The Arrogant One

Messages In This Thread
How far do we dare venture? -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-05-28
Different Strokes for Different Folks - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-05-30
I surrender already! - Teachers Discussion -- The Arrogant One -- 2006-06-03
Surrender? - Teachers Discussion -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2006-06-03
Group Hug. Strictly brotherly. - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-06-03
Roses and Manure, Applied As Indicated - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-29
And the reason you'd be fired would be.... -- Rheno747 -- 2006-05-30
What are the differences . - Teachers Discussion -- Alexia -- 2006-05-30
Why not start a visa thread? - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-30
different fields - Teachers Discussion -- Alexia -- 2006-06-02
Or Not... - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-06-02
Doesn't Matter - Teachers Discussion -- Raoul Duke -- 2006-05-30
Yeah, I've heard that from folks - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-05-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › How far do we dare venture?

Go to another board -