TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"
formerZhengzhou - 2015-08-17
In response to Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" (San Migs)

You shouldn't really have problems explaining your absense though. Anymore than I would have difficulty explaining why I moved to Toronto for 2 years - because I was working and learning new skills and becoming more professional (anything any 2 years should be explained as).

Now, why employers would miss the opportunity to hire someone who'd boldly taken on a challenge I don't know but I was lucky enough that after a stint in China I had as nearly my very first interview a manager who was quick to recognize he wanted an overseas expert (at least SOME expertise) and was really happy if I could even speak a little introductory Chinese since that was a great welcome and starting/selling point with Chinese customers. I also explained quite openly I was stalled, bored and actually getting 'soft' in life so yes I really did take on China as a major self-discipline self-awareness shake-up experience to broaden my worldview and he absolutely admired that as valid character strength.

but i feel like I'm one of the luckier ones because I hear and have had the opposite experiences yes. I really do think the 'out-of-the-loop' thing is one of the major issues though. Its crazy but after just a year even my old company had already changed - the old boss was gone, new people, old friends were gone and/or moved departments. So that's only 1 year but I walk back in there 'as if' I was some old strange outsider heh. Imagine 3 or 5 years!

Messages In This Thread
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- San Migs -- 2015-08-09
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- formerZhengzhou -- 2015-08-13
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- San Migs -- 2015-08-14
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- formerZhengzhou -- 2015-08-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"

Go to another board -