TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"
formerZhengzhou - 2015-08-18

Oh no that didn't really answer any questions or tell us anything new.

Can you live on the income? To give you an example: At home I would be paid as much as $500 for one commercial voiceover. 15 minutes. Let's say it was 30 minutes work from the time I arrived at the studio until I was saying my goodbyes and out the door. One could say I made $1000 an hour!

In reality I might be lucky to get 3 or 4 in a single month and so in a best case scenario for any given month maybe thats $2000 for what was really less than two hours of speaking. Now get this part - my best friend would routinely earn $2000 (and more) as a delivery driver for KFC! Every month! For me I might go 2 months without getting a gig and then maybe a 200 here and throw in a 400 over there.

Now in your case the more specialized the field its certainly true the more you can be asking for each hour (or presentation) however that also means very very few people are in your type of audience and your consultations (again might be highly valuable per hour/project) but aren't exactly in some high demand are they?

So yes we have it much much better if doing a sort of 'per hour worked' but if you are only getting 600 euros a month then quite frankly the lowest training school workaholic is far outearning you in terms of cash in bank month after month right?

Messages In This Thread
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- formerZhengzhou -- 2015-08-18
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"

Go to another board -