TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"
martin hainan - 2015-08-19

English is a foreign language in China. It is never used by citizens of China to communicate with each other. I've attended Chinese University Foreign Language Department Christmas parties, attended by 45 Chinese teachers of English, where not one person said Merry Christmas to another. Everyone spoke Chinese. I was only invited because I would speak Chinese and not embarrass anyone by forcing them to speak English in front of their colleagues.

Teaching English in China is truly EFL, not ESL. This is a distinction that is seldom made, but I believe is important.

Teaching English in the United States or England or Australia or Canada to immigrant students, even immigrant adults, is truly ESL teaching. English is taught to become the student's Second Language for daily use. These teaching jobs are a career, albeit not a lucrative one, requiring a Masters Degree in Tesol or equivalent. Every elementary, middle and high school in major cities in the U.S. has certified ESL teachers who are FULLY BILINGUAL and hold these degrees.

Legal "ESL teachers" in China are routinely and merely English native language speakers with a college degree and two years employment doing something. They are seldom qualified to teach anything, English or otherwise, in their home country. If they are "certified", the majority of on-line TESOL programs are of little value other than to acquire a "teaching" position in a third world country.

Now: I also put myself in this category. My "qualifications" are from Columbia University in New York, but NOT a Masters Degree, only a "certification", of 15 credit hours, and practicum. An expensive, prestigious, but barely adequate preparation.

Foreign "teachers" in China are given the incredible opportunity to share a classroom with students. No school district in their home country would give them the same opportunity. I love what I do and I would recommend it to other people who are interested in experiencing China after graduating college or who have retired from a career.

But it is NOT a career. And it is NOT teaching ESL.

Messages In This Thread
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- martin hainan -- 2015-08-19
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- formerZhengzhou -- 2015-08-19
Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers" -- martin hainan -- 2015-08-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re sad aftermath of ESL "careers"

Go to another board -