TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Supply and demand
martin hainan - 2015-08-27

Following that logic my mother and my second wife were both whores.

Though that characterization fails to give me pause, most Americans of the 1950-70s viewed marriage in a manner somewhat similar to young Chinese of the past 20 years. I'm reminded of my female cousin who was 'bankrolled' to attend Smith College in order to marry a wealthy prep, but was excoriated by her parents when she came home and wed her high school boyfriend who was a car mechanic.

Marrying for money and improved social status is not unique to modern China. Our post WWII generation in the U.S. who bought their first cars and first homes and first double-wide refrigerators shared much with today's Chinese middle class, including their views of women.

I'm more disturbed by the belief held now by both young Chinese men and women that wealth is equivalent to happiness. Western countries that have observed many generations of dysfunctional wealthy families have no such delusions. The next generations of Chinese will likely not equate materialism with personal growth. They will observe their own Trumps and Kardashians.

Messages In This Thread
Re Supply and demand -- martin hainan -- 2015-08-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re Supply and demand

Go to another board -