TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Reno Hit the nail and made me laugh - Teachers Discussion
Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. - 2006-06-07
In response to You didn't go to clown college. - Teachers Discussion (Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U)

Reno when you first posted the comments about being expected to be a clown I did laugh out loud because you took the words right out of my mouth on my first (and only) hogwan job (private English school)in South Korea. That was back in 1996-97. The school was called Expo Hogwan in Expo Park of Taijon city. The owners have changed a couple of times I am told. I told my boss that if she wanted clowns she should have hired them. I taught English for a year there and I did get results. We took them from zero to speaking in a year. I am really proud of that. I saw results because the kids came every weekday andf the curriculum was oral and written. Kids get tired of seeing the same teacher every day (vary the approach) but they also came to know us quite well. That was a hard job and a hard year but I wrote more lessons in that year and learned more techniques and more Korean language from the kids than any time after. I also fell in the shower and cracked a shoulder blade. That almost pushed me over the edge with stress and pain. There was one afternoon when I almost did not have it in me to go to school. I nearly cracked mentally. Here is some advice to the Korean owners: Don't push your teachers too hard. They will crack and the financial loss will be yours. Recruiting/retaining students is your job. You can jump through hoops to cater to the uneducated whims of mothers. Treat your teachers as teachers. There is nothing wrong with using a creative and fun curriculum.

Messages In This Thread
Once in a life time chance - Teachers Discussion -- S W Tony -- 2006-05-31
Answer for Tony - Teachers Discussion -- Dianne -- 2006-05-31
Hi Dianne - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-01
Hi Robin - Teachers Discussion -- Dianne -- 2006-06-02
Hi Dianne - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-06
You didn't go to clown college. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747, B.A., M.A., PhD, Hard Knocks U -- 2006-06-07
Reno Hit the nail and made me laugh - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-07
Hi Robin - Teachers Discussion -- Dianne -- 2006-06-06
Hi Dianne - Teachers Discussion -- Robin Day B.Sc. MSc. B.Ed. -- 2006-06-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Reno Hit the nail and made me laugh - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -