TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Don't shoot the messenger - Teachers Discussion
good intentions - 2006-06-09

My girlfriend and I chose to teach at our school because of one reason and that reason was the school was willing to pay us equally even though she is not a native speaker. I would first apply to a school and they would happily offer me a position. I then submit my girlfriend's resume and the school would reply saying "we will accept your girlfriend but will pay her less." I would turn down any offer where the school would not pay us equally. One woman of the foreign affairs (from a certain school which I will not mention) had the audacity to say over the phone "oh, that is what we are willing to pay for non-native speakers." She also stated that we were on top of the list but not willing to negotiate to make us choose her school. When we applied to our current school I said to the foreign affairs "are you willing to pay us equally?" She replied "yes of course, why wouldn't I?" So I also offered to help the school look for more teachers as we are the only teachers here and the school told us they only need a few and first preference are Americans and British teachers. But would consider non-native speakers due to their experience and we know so many non-native speakers that we gave their resumes to the school to keep on file. It is a generic preference when schools ask for Americans and British but doesn't mean no non-native teachers.
But now some angry non-native speakers are shooting at me because my school stated native speakers in the ad. Despite the main reason for us to teach here was because how they treated my girlfriend as an equal. So I am pleading to other teachers that if you really want to take down discriminative schools fight those who use words in their ads such as "colour of skin" and "non-native speakers need not to apply." I have worked with non-native teachers for quite awhile and I reguard them as effective teachers especially compared to the lazy native speakers who come to China to get drunk every night. Not all schools are as discriminative as some especially the private schools are notorious for their treatment to non-native and non-white teachers. So please attack those who are the real discriminating bastards not those who are on your side.

Messages In This Thread
Don't shoot the messenger - Teachers Discussion -- good intentions -- 2006-06-09
Remember. Your school is a business FIRST. - Teachers Discussion -- Rheno747 -- 2006-06-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Don't shoot the messenger - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -